Non Planar Sensors?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 30, 2009 in Cameras
From what I understand, a non-planar (say, spherical) sensor shape may drastically improve (=cheapen) lens design. Any rumors of somebody making an effort manifacturing something like this? :scratch
That, and already existent electronically controlled variable curvature lenses would pretty much give us an "artificial eye", i.e. a cheap, small form factor camera with an extremely wide range of capabilities and applications...
Thoughts, tidbits?
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    The little I know about sensor manufacture would indicate that it is difficult enough producing masks on a flat substrate, so that a curved substrate of any quality is currently impossible. I would suspect another decade or so would be required to achieve the sort of manufacturing capabilities required.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy! thumb.gif
    I guess I want too much mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I recently read this article about spherical sensors. Perhaps it's not as far away as we think? ne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I recently read this article about spherical sensors. Perhaps it's not as far away as we think? ne_nau.gif
    thumb.gifwings.gif
  • L_F_LL_F_L Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    .. this article about spherical sensors. Perhaps it's not as far away as we think? ne_nau.gif
    The camera's resolution is 256 pixels. At the moment, it's difficult to improve resolution due to the limitations of the fabrication facilities

It might be years to get to the MP levels of today's planar sensors.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    L_F_L wrote:
    It might be years to get to the MP levels of today's planar sensors.
    I absolutely expect it will be. The long wait is for the science to materialize. Once that's happened there's always a mad rush to be the first to develop a vaible method of manufactuering. I expect a few years isn't an unreasonable timeframe to see the first several-megapixel planar sensors hitting the market.
    Travis
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 30, 2009
    I expect that we'll see more "biologically" modeled imaging technology in the future, but I would hope to see improved dynamic range first.