Old Gate

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Old gate & wall in Taos, NM
Randy

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Kinda looks like an etching. Not sure I totally like the effect, though. Sorry.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    clap.gif........... azzaro
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Kinda looks like an etching. Not sure I totally like the effect, though. Sorry.

Don't feel sorry for your opinion thumb.gif

Just something different ~ wouldn't want ya'll to get bored...

Thanks for commenting.
    Randy
    edited August 27, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    clap.gif........... azzaro

Thanks Azzaro
    Randy
    edited August 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Just something different ~ wouldn't want ya'll to get bored...

Never boring...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Never boring...

OK, I added my gallery version of this shot.

BTW, you don't have to like this one either thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 27, 2009
    Someone's having fun with their processing!!! Funny thing on the color, the shadow on the left pillar gives an added dimension to the surface that makes me think that the pillar isn't rectilinear, but rather a curvy shape.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Someone's having fun with their processing!!! ...

As for the color image, that's my normal processing for my SW Gallery, nothing new there.
    Randy
    edited August 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    As for the color image, that's my normal processing for my SW Gallery, nothing new there.
    Ahh. Guess I've just gotten used to the B&W's that you've been running. Thanks.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Randy,

As usual with your work, I fine this picture very appealing. I do prefer the colorized version, however. I find that the PP you like to use on these type subjects often drifts toward the " unreal " side of the spectrum, as my eyes see it. But, honestly, it's simply a case of personal choice. The abandoned church you recently did was perfectly done with your process, but it was done in a very low-key manner. Sometimes, I think it comes on a little too strong.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 27, 2009
    Randy,

As usual with your work, I fine this picture very appealing. I do prefer the colorized version, however. I find that the PP you like to use on these type subjects often drifts toward the " unreal " side of the spectrum, as my eyes see it. But, honestly, it's simply a case of personal choice. The abandoned church you recently did was perfectly done with your process, but it was done in a very low-key manner. Sometimes, I think it comes on a little too strong.

Take care my friend,

Tom

Thanks for your insight as always Tom,

I'll give ya' the low-down on my processing.

There are tons of great photographers with no telling how many millions/billions of great photographs available. That's a pretty tough market to try and have your images say "buy me, I'm different than the other millions of images".

While there are a relatively small number of successful working photogs, (comparable to the number of photogs trying to make money, or dreaming of heading that way), that don't have a "niche" look to their images, I think most do have a particular "look" for their images. A signature style if you will.

While my art work may not appeal to everyone, much the same as any photogs work, you just have to like it yourself, then hope others will like it enough to pay money for it.

I no longer post images that actually go into my galleries. They are too far outside "normal" to get any usable feedback from a photography board. There's no ill-meaning there, just that a photography board is not an art board. Simple as that.

That's probably way more than you wanted to know, and might should have been in a PM, but, I've got nothing to hide from the fine dgrin members.

Thanks again for your insight and input thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Howdy Randy
    I really like them both. Keep on hanging outside the box! thumb.gifthumb.gif Before I read Tom's post and your answer to him, my first thought was that the color shot was getting to be representative of your signature style. Guess you're achieving your goal. clap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Randy,

I've spent all my adult life in marketing. I don't care what the gig is, trying to pull together all the important info you need and then reaching to come to some sound decisions about the best course of action to take....well, it can be daunting. The addition of dealing in the world of "art ", with all of its " subjectiveness " can really compound the issue.

You certainly have the talent to succeed in this business of photography. Your eye for the picture is good. So are the techniques you use to reflect your interpretations onto others. You'll never find a style or fashion to your work that will always please everyone.....none of us ever will. However, with the skills and abilities you bring to the table, you'll eventually find and develop your niche into a very satisfying venture.

Maybe I better buy up your stuff now while its inexpensive.:D :D

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 27, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Howdy Randy
    I really like them both. Keep on hanging outside the box! thumb.gifthumb.gif Before I read Tom's post and your answer to him, my first thought was that the color shot was getting to be representative of your signature style. Guess you're achieving your goal. clap.gif

Thanks Jack,

nice of you to notice, and I appreciate your ongoing support thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 27, 2009
    Randy,

I've spent all my adult life in marketing. I don't care what the gig is, trying to pull together all the important info you need and then reaching to come to some sound decisions about the best course of action to take....well, it can be daunting. The addition of dealing in the world of "art ", with all of its " subjectiveness " can really compound the issue.

You certainly have the talent to succeed in this business of photography. Your eye for the picture is good. So are the techniques you use to reflect your interpretations onto others. You'll never find a style or fashion to your work that will always please everyone.....none of us ever will. However, with the skills and abilities you bring to the table, you'll eventually find and develop your niche into a very satisfying venture.

Maybe I better buy up your stuff now while its inexpensive.:D :D

Take care,

Tom

Tom,

I always enjoy hearing what you have to say. I think that I have the right product, maybe better said, a product that I'm satisfied with. I've just got to nail down the right marketing strategy.

One thing I enjoy about people posting a good bit, is that you start to learn about the person, their vision and personality.

I appreciate your, and others constant support. Thank you for taking the time to write such a supportive post.
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Really like the result you managed with this one Randy. A very nice photo
    to do it with. :D
    Michael
    edited August 28, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Really like the result you managed with this one Randy. A very nice photo
    to do it with. :D

Thank you kindly