My first real macro shot..

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited September 1, 2009 in Holy Macro
I finally bought a real macro lens (the 70-300 'macro' doesn't count) :rofl
And well, it's my first attemp at ever shooting with a real marco lens.

In any event, I picked up a good deal on a Sigma EX 50mm f2.8 DG AF Macro :clap . It hunts a little with low light.. and getting light is a little tricky. But I am very pleased with this lens for the price;

f14 @ 2.5s
kiwi-ithink.jpg

C&C more than welcomed.. thanks for looking
Devin
Devin

Comments

• 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Couple more from the set
    just using diff apetures.. testing 1 .. 2

morecontrast.jpg

DSC_5698copy.jpg

cats-eye-1.jpg

can you believe my cat let me take a macro (with flash) of his eye.. twice!!rolleyes1.gif
    Devin
    edited August 28, 2009
    i'm struggling a bit with the 1:1 - but here is a small jumping spider (don't know the technical name) that i found in my driveway. any thoughts ? tips? C&C welcomed
    jumperspider.jpg
    Devin
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Wow, great depth of field on the first few. That's been my issue with my new sigma 105- very narrow dof.

Love the color on 1 and the texture on 2.

Your spider needs the same help my flies do. Tough getting that ultra crisp cloes-up you see so much of on this forum.

Nice start.
    edited August 29, 2009
    thank you.. and yes, i see all these shots here and think.. damn, i have a lot to learn (but also i need a better lens) headscratch.gif
    Devin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Good start with the new lens.
    When shooting near 1:1 it's fairly normal to use MF rather than AF. The camera will often have trouble with AF due to low light and thin DOF, even if it does lock focus it may not focus on the right bit of the subject. Easier to set the magnification you want and focus by moving the camera.
    Brian V.
    edited August 29, 2009
    Good start with the new lens.
    When shooting near 1:1 it's fairly normal to use MF rather than AF. The camera will often have trouble with AF due to low light and thin DOF, even if it does lock focus it may not focus on the right bit of the subject. Easier to set the magnification you want and focus by moving the camera.
    Brian V.

Yes, i noticed rather quickly that manual focus is the way to go... and f7 seems to be the sweet spot on this lens. I have a lot of practice to do, but feel i already am in need of some kenko tubes, as it just wont' get down to the detail i want :cry
    Devin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    Yes, i noticed rather quickly that manual focus is the way to go... and f7 seems to be the sweet spot on this lens. I have a lot of practice to do, but feel i already am in need of some kenko tubes, as it just wont' get down to the detail i want :cry
    Depends on the subject detail a bit but most people shoot 1:1 around F11 (often with flash) as a compromise between DOF and diffraction softening. F7.1/F8 will give slightly more detail but obviously less DOF.
    Brian V.
    edited August 30, 2009
    Depends on the subject detail a bit but most people shoot 1:1 around F11 (often with flash) as a compromise between DOF and diffraction softening. F7.1/F8 will give slightly more detail but obviously less DOF.
    Brian V.

Thanks for the tip Brian.. i'll have another go at it soon.
    Devin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Excellent first outing!
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    You made a good start. Macro is so intersting when you get into it.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

edited September 1, 2009
    Thank you Dalantech & Paul, I must admit that macro shooting is very fun.. and frustrating at the same time. I find it extrememely difficult when shooting handheld at 1:1, they look great in the fiewfinder but when I pull them off the camera.. well not so much. rolleyes1.gif
    Devin