From earlier this year

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in People

Comments

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Ok, whew, caught a break and finally can write. I was culling pictures and saw this one which jumped out at me because while I was taking pictures of my friends/hubby, I have no idea who that guy in the back, totally centered and looks to be the focus, is...and why he's smirking at me lol.

It's just so weird when that happens headscratch.gif
    edited August 28, 2009
    Would this technically count as street photography?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ok, whew, caught a break and finally can write. I was culling pictures and saw this one which jumped out at me because while I was taking pictures of my friends/hubby, I have no idea who that guy in the back, totally centered and looks to be the focus, is...and why he's smirking at me lol.

It's just so weird when that happens headscratch.gif

It's interesting. Sometimes you'll hold onto an image for no clear reason only to come back to it months or years later and see something new or interesting. Your smirking face in the background centre is a cool example.

I think this qualifies as Street, or at least good practice at Street. I'm not ready to define what Street is to me, but it certainly includes an aspect of a relationship between the photographer and the environment and/or with the subjects they are capturing.

The courage many people allude to with Street is the willingness to become a part of the scene. Working with family and friends helps and gives you a chance to work on on-the-fly composition and exposure.

Just some thoughts...
    edited August 28, 2009
    My biggest problem with taking pictures out there is I go out with the intention of taking pictures, then I feel like people are going to run after me if they notice I shot them lol. When I go with friends and take pictures of them, I don't feel burdened by what other people think. Even if I'm not taking their pictures and photographing other subjects - the fact that they're there puts me at ease.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    My biggest problem with taking pictures out there is I go out with the intention of taking pictures, then I feel like people are going to run after me if they notice I shot them lol. When I go with friends and take pictures of them, I don't feel burdened by what other people think. Even if I'm not taking their pictures and photographing other subjects - the fact that they're there puts me at ease.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't care who else might be in a pic of my kid or friends (unless I really don't want someone in the bg), but I need to get over that comfort wall for just other interesting shots of people.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean.

One of my classmates in college love "street" photography. He'd do photowalks all over DC, but he'd try very hard not to include people, just remnants of people. People terrify him lol.