Sappy Sap

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Our evergreen is dripping sap from where the branches were trimmed off this summer. Bee's don't seem to like it, but the bugs are getting caught. Some photos were taken in the morning light while others were taken at night with my trusty flashlight :D

Hope you enjoy them.
C&C is always welcome.

632075350_NNtmz-L.jpg

632075277_rt85T-L.jpg

632075427_denie-L.jpg

632075066_j4Yad-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Totally love the second one. It is completely surreal. Consider it for the DSS challenge on perspective!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Totally love the second one. It is completely surreal. Consider it for the DSS challenge on perspective!

I'm glad you liked the second one since thats the one I really like too :D Kinda creepy, but the last photo with the spider coming down to the sap..well if I knew it was there when I was taking the photo I'd of stopped :wow :eek1

I've never entered a challenge --
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Nice use of flashlights (again!). I do like the bluish effects in #2. The exposure in #1 seems right on.

Do you use trial and error or is your flashlight ETTL? Is the shutter held open or are you shining the light and letting the camera set the exposure?
    edited August 27, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I've never entered a challenge --
    I hadn't either before I did. :D It's a fun way to try to look for a picture that fits a theme.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 27, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Nice use of flashlights (again!). I do like the bluish effects in #2. The exposure in #1 seems right on.

Do you use trial and error or is your flashlight ETTL? Is the shutter held open or are you shining the light and letting the camera set the exposure?

I don't know where the blue came from in that photo other then how the light was hitting it. I did notice that sap can take on many different colors.

I work with the flashlight to give me the look I have in my mind before I start taking the photos. As for trial and error -- its always trail and error with me on all my photos rolleyes1.gif Seriously tho....its a lot of working the camera, moving the flashlight, re-setting my camera settings. I shoot everything in Manual so I have a lot of control.

My flashlight -- its a cheap-o. I had to look up ETTL rolleyes1.gif Nope, its not one of those. By cheap-o I mean a Wally-World basic plastic flashlight. Although for these night time photos I used a more expensive flashlight that I took from my hubbys work bench, but its still a cheap regular flashlight only it has a metal body instead of plastic.

Hope this helps you :D
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I hadn't either before I did. :D It's a fun way to try to look for a picture that fits a theme.

Just took a look at the challenge a few minutes ago. I've never taken the time to look at it before. My photo was taken with-in the time frame for the challenge. Hmmmmmm..........
    edited August 27, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Just took a look at the challenge a few minutes ago. I've never taken the time to look at it before. My photo was taken with-in the time frame for the challenge. Hmmmmmm..........

What many folks do is post to the challenges board something along the lines "What do you think? Does this work?" You can see various posts to that effect, and you get feedback on if folks think your idea would work well in the challenge. Even if some folks don't love it, there is no cost for entry, and you get a lot of feedback on the images. :D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    That second shot looks like something alien.

I'd watch out! rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Hi Mary Kim.... I like the set ... Two is my favorite... I'm with Randy, looks like it is from one of those Alien movies with Sagourrney Weaver. :Dthumb.gif azzaro
    edited August 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    That second shot looks like something alien.

I'd watch out! rolleyes1.gif

Makes me kind of scared to go out in my front yard at night now :D
    edited August 27, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Mary Kim.... I like the set ... Two is my favorite... I'm with Randy, looks like it is from one of those Alien movies with Sagourrney Weaver. :Dthumb.gif azzaro

It does look creepy.....the tree is coming down hopefully this fall. My Dad planted it in 1966 and its the tree I learned to hurdle over. Gonna be sad to cut it down :cry

I thought you guys would of picked the photo with the bugs caught in the sap :D
    edited August 27, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    What many folks do is post to the challenges board something along the lines "What do you think? Does this work?" You can see various posts to that effect, and you get feedback on if folks think your idea would work well in the challenge. Even if some folks don't love it, there is no cost for entry, and you get a lot of feedback on the images. :D

I'm going to have to check it out. Feedback is good :D