How about this one?

PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited August 30, 2009 in People
... and he has. This is one of my personal favorites- coming to you directly from the FL. swamps. It was my attempt at a duotoned image.
Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com

Comments

• PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Sorry if the quality is bad. I had to diminish the resolution several times to get it to load.

edited August 29, 2009
    No opinions on this one? I wasn't sure about the dualtone tint to it, so I did it on two layers and blended it till it looked about right to me.

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I am not able to give feedback on your duotone process. I can see why you like the shot with the atmosphere, the skulls, and the guy that you would not mess with.

The most noticed thing is the bright skull he is holding which almost hurts the eyes as it is so bright against the dark tones of everything else. And yet, the point of interest for me would be the guy and the overall setting of having all those skulls around. Not sure if it would help if you can tone down the skull and bring up everything else a tad.
    edited August 29, 2009
    OK, thanks. I can maybe tone them down seperatly in another layer. I will try that when I get a chance and see if it helps. Thanks again.

KAW.

• MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I really like this one ... I like his natural expression and the skulls make me want to get to know him. Im not sure what is right as far as duo-tone.. but I like the way it looks.. i wish there was a way to amp him up a bit more so that hes not over shadowed by the brightness of the skulls. Umm... just a little nit picky thing... its a tad catywonky.. and his feet are cut in half... but over all I really like this :):D
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
    edited August 30, 2009
    Thanks. I had seen the catawompus steps when composing, but thought it added a little dimension to the photo. A bush at camera left was the original reason for the composition. Thanks though!thumb.gif

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Those are some HUGE honkin' jaw bones. A lot of story in the photo.
    Growing with Dgrin

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 30, 2009
    The duotone looks pretty good. Three (bright) skulls make the pic about skulls. Was this your intent? That guy shows a lot of character and (to me) is more interesting than the skulls. I like his placement on the stairs, but he is a little centered. I think the whole thing might have worked better with only the rightmost skull--which isn't quite so bright--and getting in a bit closer, shifting him a bit to the left in the frame.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Overall, I like it. Duotone is done nicely in my view.
    edited August 30, 2009
    OK thanks. I wish I could have gone back and shot it again.

I do plan to attempt to play down the white on the skulls.

Thanks all.

KAW.

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    With all my pre-existing bias to the pictures of scantily clad female subjects, I like this one of yours the best. Duotone looks great (albeit a bit dark imho)
    Couple of nits:
    * horizon is skewed
    * you cut off his soles for no particular reason
    * while dead center composition plays realtively well here, I wonder if the image would be even stonger of it was off-center one
    * in most cases I do not recommend useing WA lens for portraits. In this case, however, I have a gut feeling it may have brought some advantage...
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"