High Sierra Night Sky

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
This was taken a few weeks ago in the Southern High Sierras. It was a 30 sec exposure at f/3.5 with my 40D and 10mm (-22mm zoom). What I liked is that it shows the Big Dipper (Ursa Major) in the bottom left. If you draw a line from the two bottom stars and follow it upward and to the right, you will locate Polaris, the North Star. It is the end star on the Little Dipper (Ursa Minor) and you can trace this constellation up and to the left. You can also see the multitude of stars visible when away from the city.

625116159_bXBwP-L.jpg

Now here is what is neat. After viewing the photo from a normal viewing distance on your monitor, move farther back. The brighter magnitude stars begin to stand out as the dim stars fade away and the two constellations stand out for easy viewing.

Comments

• SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Man that is gorgeous! Makes me itch to get the scope out again!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Makes me wish I was out of the city.
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Nice one. Neat you well placed the foreground interest in your composition.
    Thats nailing it. thumb.gif

Cassiopeia to the right and Perseids just below.

We are so losing our night skies to light pollution. Which is sorry as can be.
    Michael
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Nice one. Neat you well placed the foreground interest in your composition.
    Thats nailing it. thumb.gif

Cassiopeia to the right and Perseids just below.

We are so losing our night skies to light pollution. Which is sorry as can be.[/quote

We were out there looking for the Perseid Meteor Showers (we saw six in twenty minutes) that originated in the Perseids. I make an annual trip here and gazing at the heavens at night is always treasured.

Thanks for looking and the feedback.