Tamron or Tokina?

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in Cameras
I am saving up some $$$ and selling some other stuff I no longer need/want in order to get some more $$$ for glass. Right now I am just using a "Kit Lens" and I would like to get the Tokina or the Tamron for use as my main walk-around lens.

I don't shoot portraits much anymore, but of course it would be nice to have a 2.8 available. I occasionally shoot concerts.

FWIW... My previous concert shooting was done with a Nikkor 17-55 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8, but I no longer have either of those lenses (long story).

So, if you were going to buy one of these lenses, would you go with the Tamron for about $450 (B & H has a refurb for $359) or should I keep saving and get the Tokina for $599?

I am not using this professionally (weddings, portraits, etc...) just using it for me. :D

Thank you in advance! :D

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Can't speak to the Tokina, but I can tell you that the Tamron 17-50 I have is an amaaaaazing lens. Scary sharp, and mine's a really accurate and reliable focus-er, too. I bought mine a couple of months old and truly like-new (including a polarizer and UV filter) for ~$300 and consider it the best bang-per-buck of any camera purchase I've made. (Can you tell I like mine?! :D) I shoot Canon, if that makes any difference (not sure how - or if - that affects AF function/speed, but FWIW)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    I think the Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] is a bit better overall and less expensive, making it the better value.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Well, and it's refurb, so it might even be better than new :)

I wonder if Tamrons come with a lenshood?? I've never owned a non-Nikkor lens.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Well, and it's refurb, so it might even be better than new :)

I wonder if Tamrons come with a lenshood?? I've never owned a non-Nikkor lens.

Yes, it does thumb.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    I have a copy of the Tokina ATX DX Pro 50-135mm f2.8 which I am really impressed with. I have never had a Tamron for a DSLR I use them all the time with Closed Circut TV. The Tokina is the first third party lens I bought since going all Nikon after a Sigma run. Sigma was OK but wanted faster glass. At the time had money for Nikkor lenses see below.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/