Daddy Long Legs & Focus Stacking

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited September 1, 2009 in Holy Macro
I'm amazed at the quality of work that you guys regularly post here on this forum. I've got so much to learn about macro photography. So I hesitate to post anything at all. Be kind to me, please! :rolleyes

Here are a few images I captured in the garden a few days ago.

632226423_UN8sT-L.jpg

632226615_hMXt5-L.jpg

632226796_4rmvX-L.jpg

Now, these are NOT focus stacked. I've yet to figure out how to do this. I know that CS 4 extended has this feature, but I don't want to shell out $300 bucks for that version. There are too many features in the Extended version that I just don't care about.

So are there any focus-stacking programs for the Mac? Or tutorials for CS4 sans the Extended version?

Thanks!
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    LOvely shots of the harvestman - esp like #1

Re- focus stacking, firstly I would only start doing this when you are comfortable with macro-shooting and have a need for it. It obviously requires fine focus and movement control.
    You can get an excellent prog for the mac - zerene stacker - which is just about still in beta (ie free) but will have to be paid for shortly.

I often do limited focus stacks of insects in CS2 by hand. You just have all the photos open and choose one as the master. Then use the healing brush to copy in focus parts from the other pics onto the master. Just alt leftclick on a recognisable spot on the donor pic and left click on the same spot on the master pic and as long as you hold the left mouse button down you can paint in detail from the donor pic.

Brian V.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    LOvely shots of the harvestman - esp like #1

Re- focus stacking, firstly I would only start doing this when you are comfortable with macro-shooting and have a need for it. It obviously requires fine focus and movement control.
    You can get an excellent prog for the mac - zerene stacker - which is just about still in beta (ie free) but will have to be paid for shortly.

I often do limited focus stacks of insects in CS2 by hand. You just have all the photos open and choose one as the master. Then use the healing brush to copy in focus parts from the other pics onto the master. Just alt leftclick on a recognisable spot on the donor pic and left click on the same spot on the master pic and as long as you hold the left mouse button down you can paint in detail from the donor pic.

Brian V.

Thanks, Brian. That's very helpful!

Whoops. And I just noticed your focus stacking tutorial on this forum's sticky! Cool!

Jeff
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Looking good Jeff!
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.