Parking garages--CC me please.

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited August 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I like the symmetry of these two side-by-side parking lots.

632259960_dfCdn-XL.jpg

This shot was taken from the top level of the garage above.
I personally really like this shot because it reminds me of toy cars.

632268445_ry8Gw-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Love the second one the most Liz. It reminds me of a set of match box cars my son had years ago. All lined up in their individual compartments in the carry case. Colors here are terrific. thumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Love the second one the most Liz. It reminds me of a set of match box cars my son had years ago. All lined up in their individual compartments in the carry case. Colors here are terrific. thumb.gif

Hi Jack,
    Yes that is exactly what it reminds me of too, specially because of all the colors.

Glad you like it:D
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Hey Liz,

There both nice. I'm really drawn to the symmetry of the first one.
    Randy
    edited August 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Liz,

There both nice. I'm really drawn to the symmetry of the first one.

Hello there Randy,
    I've driven past that lot hundreds of times and never paid too much attention to them. Been taking pictures for a very short time but it's amazing how I notice so much more then just a couple of months ago.

I really dig the symmetry myself.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Hi Liz,

I like both of your shots....each for different reasons. Your observation about " seeing more " is very true. It's amazing what " appears " to us when we develop the subconscious vision to see what's there. Keep up the good work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 28, 2009
    Hi Liz,

I like both of your shots....each for different reasons. Your observation about " seeing more " is very true. It's amazing what " appears " to us when we develop the subconscious vision to see what's there. Keep up the good work.

Tom

Thank you Tom:D .
    Can't wait to see what I notice next, specially if I've already seen it 100 times before.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    The colored one does remind me of matchbox cars -- I stepped on many of those when my boys were young :D

Your first photos lines are wonderful.
    edited August 28, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    The colored one does remind me of matchbox cars -- I stepped on many of those when my boys were young :D

Your first photos lines are wonderful.

I step on them still on a daily basis:D .

The first shot is a couple of parking lots for Target, I think it's pretty hysterical that it looks so much like the Guggenheim museum.

Also no one has commented on this, but I notice that the "toy car" one is not level--I don't know if that can be fixed. I was on top of the spiral parking lot when I shot it and their ledge is not level and my camera was sitting on it to try and avoid movement.

Thank you for your comments Mary.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 28, 2009
    Hey ya'll,
    I decided to look into the story behind the circular parking lots. I figured there had to be something there. I have attached the article.
    http://www.hollisny.com/macy.htm

It's a pretty cool story, another article mentioned how Queens, specifically Elmhurst (where I live) and Queens Boulevard became known for its architecture immediately after the World's Fair and all sorts of funky circular and triangular buildings started popping up. You better believe I am going to start searching those out and posting them up now:D .

Yeay a project!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    I step on them still on a daily basis:D .

The first shot is a couple of parking lots for Target, I think it's pretty hysterical that it looks so much like the Guggenheim museum.

Also no one has commented on this, but I notice that the "toy car" one is not level--I don't know if that can be fixed. I was on top of the spiral parking lot when I shot it and their ledge is not level and my camera was sitting on it to try and avoid movement.

Thank you for your comments Mary.

I noticed it wasn't level, but didn't mention it :D Thought you left it that way on purpose. You can easily fix that.

I took a photo of a ramp not to long ago and had a fun time setting it up so it was straight. My camera sure didn't look straight when I took it rolleyes1.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Neat ideas and execution. Oh, do I remember my childhood Matchbox cars--I was such a tomboy! rolleyes1.gif

I can surely echo what you wrote about seeing differently and more once you start shooting--I find that I do look at things more and see images that I never saw before. Hope we see more of your work soon!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 28, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I can surely echo what you wrote about seeing differently and more once you start shooting--I find that I do look at things more and see images that I never saw before. Hope we see more of your work soon!

Lauren

Lauren you made my day:D, specially with the "more of your work" part.

I scouted my neighborhood on my way home from work today, right by that circular lot and I saw some opportunities--hoping I get a break in the rainy weather to go out and get some more shots--this is a highly addictive hobby which is quickly turning into a passion. Not a bad deal.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Liz - I'm glad I was able to encourage you. I get lots of encouragement on DGrin too, and it keeps me going and wanting to learn more. FYI, I just looked at your Mets gallery and left you some feedback. That was a fun gallery to look at.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com