80s look photo shoot

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited August 28, 2009 in People
One of those pictures that looked awkward to me, which I tried to rework.
The model loved it, but what do you guys think? Highlights too blown out?
Desat working for ya? Frame is meh?

One thing I kept in mind was that gosh-awful carpet. Horrid rusty color had to go.

632448293_XFVhC-L.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Well, if the model loved it, I'm guessing she paid you, which of course is better than any comments or criticisms that we could lay on your photo.

I think the colors are fine actually.thumb.gif
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    It is good that the Model loved it for sure.
    Did she put it in her portfolio?

I don't like the skin tones too blown out for my taste.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    One of those pictures that looked awkward to me, which I tried to rework.
    The model loved it, but what do you guys think? Highlights too blown out?
    Desat working for ya? Frame is meh?

One thing I kept in mind was that gosh-awful carpet. Horrid rusty color had to go.
    I keep looking at this photo and something is making it difficult to look at for me. The frame is unnecessary, I think, but not distracting so that's not it. The selective desaturation is actually tastefully done and works for the image (well done -- that's hard to do). I think perhaps the upside down pose, combined the high key face, are making it very difficult to feel grounded in the image. Does that make sense? headscratch.gif

At any rate, as soon as I opened the thread my mind went to, "...like a virgin..." That's success right?! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Well, if the model loved it, I'm guessing she paid you, which of course is better than any comments or criticisms that we could lay on your photo.
    Did she put it in her portfolio?
    Oh no, I volunteered for the fashion show in my school last semester. But she did put it as her facebook profile picture with a note of how much she loved it, so that did make me feel wonderful rolleyes1.gif
    thoth wrote:
    I keep looking at this photo and something is making it difficult to look at for me. The frame is unnecessary, I think, but not distracting so that's not it. The selective desaturation is actually tastefully done and works for the image (well done -- that's hard to do). I think perhaps the upside down pose, combined the high key face, are making it very difficult to feel grounded in the image. Does that make sense? headscratch.gif

Yes, I actually know what you mean by this. The original image shows the wall in the background and the tilt. I think you're sensing that the perspective is tilted. Coupled with her pose and the wide angle, it makes for a weird composition. And the fact that she's upside down.

It was a cool experience taking shots for the fashion club though, because they had a creative director (I guess would be the term), who told the models how to pose so I didn't have to worry about that part.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Yes, I actually know what you mean by this. The original image shows the wall in the background and the tilt. I think you're sensing that the perspective is tilted. Coupled with her pose and the wide angle, it makes for a weird composition. And the fact that she's upside down.
    Ah yes, maybe that's it. Thanks for the clarification. thumb.gif
    marikris wrote:
    It was a cool experience taking shots for the fashion club though, because they had a creative director (I guess would be the term), who told the models how to pose so I didn't have to worry about that part.
    I'm guessing that taught you a thing or two about posing models as well. I'll bet that was an interesting experience!
    Travis
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    At any rate, as soon as I opened the thread my mind went to, "...like a virgin..."

Oh so right! I think it's the beauty mark too.