edited August 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you guys think?

632531305_xVUtV-L.jpg

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    What do you guys think?
    Laughing.gif--glad I'm not in this challenge is all I'm going to say.

My reaction was instantaneous, I heard the ball hitting the pins, that sounds is unmistakable.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Dan, I hear it man!

only suggestion: the far lanes lights are off... have them turn them on, as it is it distracts me...
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Dan, I hear it man!

only suggestion: the far lanes lights are off... have them turn them on, as it is it distracts me...

632656906_kbtf6-L.jpg
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Very cool Dan, I agree you could here the pins crack. Nice motion trail on the ball.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Clever idea. Out of curiosity, did you have any with really high shutter speeds where the flying pins were caught mid-air? Like the second image with the exposure in the second alley brought up.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Clever idea. Out of curiosity, did you have any with really high shutter speeds where the flying pins were caught mid-air? Like the second image with the exposure in the second alley brought up.

No, I don't. I went for the slow shutter speeds to get motion. Do you think I should go the other way (stop action)?
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    I think the concept is great! I wasn't too worried about the darkness in the adjacent lane, but was sort of confused by the reflections in the foreground - for a minute I thought it was your watermark. I love the smoothness and shine of the alley, but some of the reflections are distracting from the main subject.

Also, have you thought about multiple h/s flashes from a single strobe? I don't know what gear you're using, but certainly with the Nikon SB800/900 it's possible to get a series of flashes on one frame, which I think might look cool as the pins fall…

…just an idea thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    No, I don't. I went for the slow shutter speeds to get motion. Do you think I should go the other way (stop action)?

I wish I were a good enough photographer to really give that sort of advice. My instinct (without seeing either) says the bang you are capturing is the impact and if you have the frozen image of the chaos (perhaps even going the middle route with Wil's suggestion) you get a sense of the impact.

I just now googled some images of strikes, "bowling strike" as the search under images. I'm feeling the energy in the stop-action. Your opinion may vary...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    cant say I like it any better with it lit up..... seems unbalanced, do you have any comps with pin sets (lanes) on each side of your subject?
    Aaron Nelson
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    setting the bar for me already.
    Wil Davis wrote:
    ... but was sort of confused by the reflections in the foreground - for a minute I thought it was your watermark.

I like the look of the motion, but I am with Will on the reflection. Could you just crop above it? It might look better that way.

Thanks for being the first one to get out there on this theme. bowdown.gif Now I know where I stand. The photos I have taken so far aren't making any noise at all! headscratch.gif My PC is actually running quieter than usual when I pull them up. headscratch.gif Thanks again for getting us started. Impressive start.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Hi Dan! I really like it and totally on theme. I prefer the neighbor lane off, personally and prefer the reflection gone. I would like to see the freeze action - that moment immediately after the ball hits. Might be harder to capture, but I think it could add even more power to an already strong image. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 28, 2009
    great concept! I definately hear the ball and pins Dan. My only nits are that it seems the composition is slide too far to the right. Had the pin on the left been in the picture and less on the right....it would make for a bit of a stronger composition. Can you go for a reshoot or recrop? The other thing I find distracting is the lettering. Its obviously a bowling alley and do not know who important the lettering is...although the reflections are cool I have to agree that the lettering reflection makes my eyes catch that first...the the top lettering.

I really do think this is theme worthy to continue to explore...and love your slow ss for the catch!thumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited August 29, 2009
    Thank you all. Your feedback and coaching is so helpful. bowdown.gif I am going to try a re-shoot with faster shutter speeds.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Very good idea Dan, and nice shot!

I would say I agree with Andrew, but I wouldn't go with a completely
    stopped action - you definitely need motion, but the moving objects
    have to be crisper indicating a hard texture which clearly will suggest
    the sound on the impact.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Great idea--can definitely hear the sound! I liked the first better, as IMO it set up the sound better with your lane being the only one turned on. I am anxious to see if you do one with the stop action suggestions above. I don't know which would be better w/o seeing them side by side, but I bet either one is going to be a success. *Thud* (the sound of my bowling ball dropping on the alley)
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Hi Dan, I really like your idea.

I think all the suggestions you have are wonderful and can't wait to see your reshoot.

g