Options

Question about these shots ( Volleyball )

TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in Sports
I was asked to shoot the volleyball game the other night. I knew the light would be tough going into this! Some of the shots I really like, but here are a few that I'd like to think I could catch better next time. I didn't do any ISO adjustments, not sure if that would help? I did rapid sport shots, faster exposure, and regular shooting to try to catch good pics. All told I had 182 images after the game and I cut it down to 52 that I put up for the girls. ( They've never had pictures taken of games, etc. which is why I did this ).

They're really happy with them, but I want to get better at this if I'm going to do it again. Any tips are appreciated. I didn't do much by way of processing. I don't have PS, just iPhoto and Aperture and only "enhanced" some to get the light up a bit.

Shot with a 40D.

I'll pick 5 pics for review. TIA-

631943372_evtVg-L.jpg

631942749_AcFVK-L.jpg

631944898_P8hHP-L.jpg

631940732_ZWuXX-L.jpg

632648723_YpqSg-L.jpg
"Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    I've only shot volleyball a few times, but I will give you some advice anyway.

These shots all look underexposed. You will need to push your exposure a bit in an effort to keep the noise down in these photos. You mentioned that you didn't adjust the ISO, but you will need to make these adjustments in an effort to increase your shutterspeed. The SS is just a bit too slow for these with too much motion blur.

What lens did you shoot with? You will do best with a fast lens with good autofocus. These shots also need much better cropping. Pick a player you wish to highlight with a photo and then crop accordingly. These wide shots of the entire team don't have much drama.

Volleyball is one of the toughest games to shoot. Generally poor lighting with difficult angles. Keep moving around to get different shots.

HTH
  • Options
    GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    When I shoot sports I consider the shutter speed to be the most important. For boys basketball 1/400 is minimum, girls I will go to 1/320, then I will do whatever it takes with the aperture and ISO to get that shutter speed. In a gym it usually means a 2.8 lens and 800 or higher ISO. That's the reality of shooting in a gym. Also like Mitchell said, concentrate on a player or two and tighten up your shots. Keep shooting.
    Glynn
  • Options
    cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    TJDIV wrote:
    I didn't do any ISO adjustments, not sure if that would help? I did rapid sport shots, faster exposure, and regular shooting to try to catch good pics.

Exactly what does the above information equal in terms of ISO; aperture; and shutter speed that you were using ? ?

For volleyball, you've got to get your shutter speed up .... I would think a minimum of 1/500 or 1/640. To do that, your ISO is going to have to be set to at least 1600 - and maybe even 3200. The third component - aperture - I'm thinking is going to have to be at least 2.8. And probably 2.0 would be even better ....

So, right off the bat I'd set my camera to manual; ISO 1600; f2.8; 1/500 and see what kind of exposures you get with that .... then adjust as needed.
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Do you have the original CD's that came with your 40D? If so, load them onto your computer. "Digital Photo Professional" is a great little program and it even has white balance adjustment and noise reduction. Take advantage!

I'm learning how to shoot gymnastics.....inside, under those same darn lights, and motion that goes from fast to slow, to stop, and back again.

I'm using a 50D and Canon's F2.8 70-200 non-IS, and sometimes that lens is sort of too slow. But if I run the ISO up to 2500 and sometimes 3200, I can get the exposure meter centered using 1/320th-1/500th......depending.

You'll definately want manual mode so you can dial the camera in yourself.

You'll also want to play around with the metering setting because you may want to meter off what's in the center of the photo......so maybe "Spot Metering" is better? Same with the focus points. You may want to turn on only the center focus point so that the camera doesn't try to jump from a player to the back wall with it's focusing, as the player moves around.

Another thing I'm just now learing about and trying is to use that rear "AF-ON" button with your right thumb. You can disable the half push shutter focusing mode, and use your thumb to focus and that will hold the camera at that distance. That is in your custom functions menu.

Take a look at the Gymnastics thread I started and maybe some of the list members advice in there will apply to you. I know it's sure helped methumb.gif
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    I have shot a lot of volleyball with a 40D last season. My ISO is usually set to 1600. I shoot RAW and do white balance in DPP with the eyedropper in PP.

Favorite lens is the 135L shot at f/2. I choose one player to shoot, most often the hitter on the far side of the court. Then I take multiple shots using the center focus point only. Probably one shot focus, maybe occasional AI Servo. One shot because it is predictable where the set would be with an outside hitter and AI Servo often loses focus to the bleachers behind the player. Second lens of choice is the 85mm f/1.8 (shot at f/2.2).

I usually sit close to the net post in the front row so that I am shooting upward at the player (and they look sky high on their jumps). Cool shots can be had shooting through the net (with DOF blur) to a player on the other side. Then I try to time the shot anytime they have a touch on the ball. I do not try to follow the ball and shoot different players. If I want that player, I will set myself up and just wait until the ball is hit to her. Hope this helps. Lot of trial and error.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    EXIF data on these shows shutter speed 1/50-1/60, ISO 100-400, f/3.5-4.5, and focal length at 28mm. Like others already said, these shots are too wide, and the shutter speed is too long to stop any action. Shoot manual in RAW format, bump up ISO to get a faster shutter speed, zoom in closer. Your 40D is capable, but you might need to get a faster lens for better results. Good luck.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips