Folly Beach Sunset revisited

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited August 29, 2009 in Landscapes
I did some editing on this and would like feedback - I cant say that I am in love with the PP but liked it for the most part. The part I would like different is the color of the sunset in the sky - this is blown out - but I am trying to get it added back in to where it is not blown. But with this image I focused on the reflection rather than the sky.

632705541_zdqwK-M.jpg

Cropped per kdog :)

632690910_ENyZT-M-1.jpg

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 28, 2009
    Crop off the top one third of the shot and see how it comes to life. deal.gif
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Cropped - added to first post
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    Cropped - added to first post

I see two different sizes, but no crop. Or are both cropped?
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
    edited August 28, 2009
    only the bottom one is cropped - the first is full - I think I posted the link wrong in the first - checking now - Fixed :)
    edited August 28, 2009
    There we go! The cropped does look better. What are you using for PP? I've found that ACR is extremely good at recovering cloud detail if you use the exposure slider, assuming that the clouds aren't truly blown out in RAW. You could try to recover some cloud detail and mix it into your current image.

The uneven vignetting look is a little bit strange to me, but I wouldn't say bad. I like the colors. thumb.gif
    Daily Shot

edited August 28, 2009
    CoryUT wrote:
    There we go! The cropped does look better. What are you using for PP? I've found that ACR is extremely good at recovering cloud detail if you use the exposure slider, assuming that the clouds aren't truly blown out in RAW. You could try to recover some cloud detail and mix it into your current image.

The uneven vignetting look is a little bit strange to me, but I wouldn't say bad. I like the colors. thumb.gif

Thank you for the feedback :)

I am using LR and CS3 - I wish that I had a RAW of this one - this was shot with a Fuji F100FD P & S as I was chicken to take my new XTi out on the beach in sand and close to the water - I will not make that mistake again. I got some good advice from those on here - use the tool you bought to capture what you wanted.

The Vignet - I was trying to pull the viewer to the reflection - so it was a bit strange to me, but trying it - I am now liking it more - esp with the crop (thanks to kdog for the suggestion) -
    edited August 28, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    Thank you for the feedback :)

I am using LR and CS3 - I wish that I had a RAW of this one - this was shot with a Fuji F100FD P & S as I was chicken to take my new XTi out on the beach in sand and close to the water - I will not make that mistake again. I got some good advice from those on here - use the tool you bought to capture what you wanted.

The Vignet - I was trying to pull the viewer to the reflection - so it was a bit strange to me, but trying it - I am now liking it more - esp with the crop (thanks to kdog for the suggestion) -

Ahh, I remember now. You might be SOL on the clouds, then. Personally I don't find them that distracting anyway...particularly after the crop.

Agreed that you should use your tool thumb.gif Though I know the feeling of wanting to baby a new toy.
    Daily Shot

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    I actually really like it! I have a love for the lo-fi look and this definitely could be something shot with one of the old classic plastic cameras, with the contrast, crazy colors and the vignette. I go out of my way to shoot like that I don't shots looking half this good thumb.gif
    edited August 29, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I actually really like it! I have a love for the lo-fi look and this definitely could be something shot with one of the old classic plastic cameras, with the contrast, crazy colors and the vignette. I go out of my way to shoot like that I don't shots looking half this good thumb.gif

thank you!!! That is best compliment that I have gotten :)