Options

Mother/daughter first 3

MaxxamillianMaxxamillian Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited August 29, 2009 in People

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    1. Lighting & exposure are great, but the eyes are too close to the edge of the frame, and are not looking at the camera; also collar of shirt on left could be fixed by re-cropping (bringing eyes into the picture)

2. Blown highlight on left, and she's not looking at the camera; with better cropping and having her look at the camera, it would be better (IMNSHO)

3. Ah, she's looking at the camera, but I would have cropped tighter.

Love the lighting & exposure of #1 thumb.gif

Very pretty girls…

…er, that's it thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    Actually, thinking about it…

#1 might be used as an ad or cover shot if it was more square (leaving room on the right for text/info:

e.g.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    …and #3 might be cropped thus: (I'll remove them if you wish me to…)
  • Options
    MaxxamillianMaxxamillian Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Will,

No need to remove...I like the suggestions and appreciate the time you took to make them. Thanks!!

The blown highlight in the B&W is intentional and was placed there during PP. You emphasize an eye / lens connection and feel that it is very important. I'd like to understand your thinking behind this...could you elaborate?

Once again...thanks!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    The eyes are such an important feature of any face. When speaking with someone, they usually look at you; they look you in the eye. If they don't, then you might think them to be "shifty", in other words they're untrustworthy or deceitful. Looking you in the eye implies they're honest and have nothing to hide. It's just the way that man has evolved; it's not for no reason that it is said that "the eyes are the windows of the soul".

That being said, take a look at any portrait, and you will find that 99.99% of the time, the eyes are looking straight at you, making a connection between you and the subject in the picture. If the eyes of the subject are looking elsewhere, there is no connection, and the viewer feels like an intruder, and the picture now becomes a "candid" where the subject is not aware of the viewer (or perhaps I should say "voyeur"†).

So, when making a portrait, I consider it to be absolutely essential that the subject is looking directly at the camera (no, not at the photographer, but at the lens of the camera).

You know, I considered that the highlight might have been intentional, but I couldn't think of a reason; I'd be interested to hear your explanation… headscratch.gif Looking at the B&W picture again, I feel I want to turn and look to see what she's looking at…

…love the lighting in #1 thumb.gif

- Wil

† using the modern definition of the word