My Technic good or bad could i do better

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited September 11, 2009 in Technique
633351651_Vpon5-M.jpg
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    some more
    633352272_5dTGV-M.jpg
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
    edited August 29, 2009
    Last one
    633352258_5wFkv-M.jpg

I am using the 24-70..
    I have to give positive feed back to smug ..They make it so easy to post pic, luv you guyz...keep up the very good intentions and work i truly appreciate this site from the bottom of my "HEART" ;)
    E.J.W

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Ummm, what technique are you actually asking us to comment on? Composition, lighting, post processing, communicating with subjects, holding the camera, setting up your lighting equipment while avoiding spooking the subject, etc.

All of the above, or something specific?
    edited August 29, 2009
    Composition and stance along with lightining... could i have brought these pics out any better,,
    E.
    E.J.W

edited August 29, 2009
    Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with your photos, but you might have tried a couple of things more.

With #2, I think the musician is on a hill. I'm guessing this 24-70 is a 2.8. Perhaps opening it up might have helped to blur the background. There is a butt on the right. Overall, it feels way to0 cluttered. A different angle, blurring the grass, and showing a bit more of the face might be something I would try.

#3 The photo is a decent shot of the guy playing whatever this instrument is (what is it anyway?) but do you think you could have worked the shot to make it different somehow? Again, there is nothing wrong with the shot, but to me, I bet every other person who went by this guy and took a picture has a nearly identical shot. I just wonder if you think you could have done anything that would make it stand out from a world full of photographers? Any ideas? Tell me what you can think of.

I think, though I may be wrong, but I think your photo is over exposed, by about .5-1 stop depending on personal preferences. The shot looks a little washed out. If you were shooting this again, how else might you shoot this to make it stand out or appear different, like you really worked this subject from every angle and found the perfect one?

There are better photogs than I on this site, perhaps they might offer suggestions as well.

And above all else, if you are happy with them, then thats good enough for me.thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 30, 2009
    Posting several different shots, and asking "What should I do better" is asking an awful lot of responders. A thorough answer might take over an hour to create.

I suggest you post a single image, and discuss what you think is good and bad about it, and then ask for specific suggestions about how to improve your image from your readers.

"Improving images" covers a lot of ground, everything from camera technique, choice of ISO, Lens, camera, lighting, color balance, focus accuracy or not, and much, much more . Your question really needs to be more specific I suggest.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 30, 2009
    the intrament is called a DigiRedo played by aussies Aborignes
    E.J.W

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Posting several different shots, and asking "What should I do better" is asking an awful lot of responders. A thorough answer might take over an hour to create.

I suggest you post a single image, and discuss what you think is good and bad about it, and then ask for specific suggestions about how to improve your image from your readers.

"Improving images" covers a lot of ground, everything from camera technique, choice of ISO, Lens, camera, lighting, color balance, focus accuracy or not, and much, much more . Your question really needs to be more specific I suggest.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    in this case, I feel you cropped in to close.
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif The images are too tight. Also seems you were putting the subject dead center.
    RogerLund wrote:
    in this case, I feel you cropped in to close.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    OK, here goes....

Good every day tourist shots...
    If you want your photo to "stand out" you need to get the shot nobody else is getting.

For instance, shot #3.
    I would have got right up close and laid down on the ground right in front of the musician. Then I would have taken several shots aiming directly up the length of the instrument at his face. each shot would have a different focus point.
    Then maybe a few shots of the side of his face close up showing his bulging cheeks as he blew on the instrument.
    (Ask him to remove his sunglasses)

Sorry, I tend to gravitate toward the obscure view point. I want the person viewing my photos to feel they are right up and personal with my subject.

edited September 11, 2009
    Zimtok wrote:
    OK, here goes....

Good every day tourist shots...
    If you want your photo to "stand out" you need to get the shot nobody else is getting.

For instance, shot #3.
    I would have got right up close and laid down on the ground right in front of the musician. Then I would have taken several shots aiming directly up the length of the instrument at his face. each shot would have a different focus point.
    Then maybe a few shots of the side of his face close up showing his bulging cheeks as he blew on the instrument.
    (Ask him to remove his sunglasses)

Sorry, I tend to gravitate toward the obscure view point. I want the person viewing my photos to feel they are right up and personal with my subject.

I was also thinking something like that immediately after seeing that photo. Yeah, the shooting low up the instrument is a oft done shot, but still, it would have been less seen than the stand and shoot angle.