Shaggy Dog - Please C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited August 31, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Here is a shot of my dog, Josie, taking a rest after a run at the park. This was before we had her groomed for the summer--now her coat looks more like a schnauzer!

I really like this shot but would appreciate some feedback. I cropped the original to eliminate some of the field. Did some levels, curves, and saturation adjustments, plus a bit of burning and dodging. I also had done some sharpening, NR and exposure adjustments in ACR.

Thanks,
Lauren

632868446_zmwZM-XL.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Hi Lauren..... I like the picture....The brush at the top is a little distracting.

I think that your photography is much improved .... YOur compositions are better and you have centers of interest and they arn't in the center..... thumb.gif azzaro
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Lauren..... I like the picture....The brush at the top is a little distracting.

I think that your photography is much improved .... YOur composition are better you have a center of interest and it isn't in the center..... thumb.gif azzaro

I'm not taking the easy route here, but 15524779-Ti.gif
    Randy
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Here is a shot of my dog, Josie, taking a rest after a run at the park. This was before we had her groomed for the summer--now her coat looks more like a schnauzer!

I really like this shot but would appreciate some feedback. I cropped the original to eliminate some of the field. Did some levels, curves, and saturation adjustments, plus a bit of burning and dodging. I also had done some sharpening, NR and exposure adjustments in ACR.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren your dog is beautiful, Im agreeing with the other two posters with the background at the top of the image.

Also looks like you may have had an over exposure problem with hair on the top of the dogs head.

What a photogenic dog you have there, lovely shot thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Nice looking animal. Well groomed to. Think you've taken a nice image of her.

Understand you have already done much in the way of PP and slight crop.

For myself as I see her here framed up, I see nothing of particular interest
    but the dog. So if it were my shot I would go with a much more tighter
    crop. Azzaro would call it "freestyle". :D

I would crop above her head and just below her feet and also just to the
    right of her tail. Leave enough extra at those points so theres balanced
    leg room so as not to squish her in. To her right side I would leave a
    couple of inches which will off set her body left of center frame. The
    appearance of her looking out to right frame then helps the crop.

Give it a try. Maybe you'll like. :D Michael
    Michael
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thanks to all of you, and esp. to Michael for the crop demo you sent me. Watch for a revision post-haste.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited August 31, 2009
    Here is a revision of my first shot of Josie. I cloned out the distracting brush at the top, worked on the over-exposure problem on her head, and then cropped it closer. I've added a second shot taken in the same field but at a later time--it shows her summer haircut. (I really disliked it at first because I loved her shaggy coat, but she has been much happier in the record heat this summer--and I have grown to like it.) The second shot is a bit soft, but I'm hoping my new lenses will solve that problem.

Thanks for your interest,
    Lauren

1. Revision
    635581863_MStP3-XL.jpg

2. Summertime
    635580749_cShsM-XL.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    HI Lauren.....Put the second pic. back into you software and look at your histogram...... If you correct what it shows and do a high pass... I believe the soft look will be corrected..... azzaro
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thanks, Azzaro! It worked--but I didn't re-post again. I'd tried the high pass filter for some selective focus effects based on some instructions from Ziggy. But I had not read about using it for sharpening. Thanks for the info!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com