Germ of an idea. (MC#5)

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited August 30, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm grasping at straws for this challenge. Other than ideas involving stereo speakers I've been coming up dry. There is a Civil War demo going on nearby so I thought I'd give it a shot (sorry, couldn't help myself). Any comments would be appreciated.

Tentatively titled "Pour It In To Them Boys".
633683540_NpuMu-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    hmmm I'm not really sure what that is supposed to sound like. Don't different firearms sound a little different from each other? So I'm not sure what these specific weapons are supposed to sound like--ping, pop, bam, whoosh--maybe more ammo experienced viewers will get it.

My two cents. I like the photograph though, just not strong on sound for me.

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 29, 2009
    I like it Kevin! I can hear the sound. The low saturation is a interesting choice. I would like to see the image in full color too just to have a comparison. The ratio crop is good too, although I wonder if your able to catch that last edge of smoke? Over all a great image!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Oh Kev, a Civil War re-enactment is the perfect place to get sound photos. clap.gif

Between, rifles, muskets, canons, and the Rebel Yell you certainly have your options.

I'm not sure about the low sat processing you used, though. Sepia or b&w might work better. There also are some PS actions you can download that mimic a hand-tinted look.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I think it works because of the plume of smoke coming out.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    When I thought that I might get into the mega challenge, I had something like this in mind, only a cannon.
    I think it works.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    JAG, here's the color version for comparison. Also the B&W version and one that I shall call the "richtersl effect" version. As far as the smoke, that's the edge of the image.

Dave, I missed the cannons today. Might be able to get a shot of them tomorrow.

Original
    633683540_NpuMu-L.jpg

Color
    633775555_TpECz-L.jpg

B&W
    633775670_KN55X-L.jpg

richtersl effect
    633775618_XG6hQ-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    — Kevin

Edit: No cannons tomorrow. Today was the last day. Ah well...

My Site, My Book
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    davev, I missed the cannons today. Might be able to get a shot of them tomorrow.

I swear I was thinking a cannon would be perfect when I first saw your post.

I like the sepia btw.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Andrew, just realized that I stole your thread title. Sorry!

My Site, My Book
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Andrew, just realized that I stole your thread title. Sorry!
    No problems. I got confused once, then figured I mis-remembered what my thread title was. I think my thread is more or less dead anyhow until I get a sample shot, at which point it will get a new title.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I like that richters effect Kevinthumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    eek7.gif "richtersl effect"? Oh dear...Thanks. :D

The sepia and full color versions are really good. The details of the Union uniforms get lost in the other photos in that it's difficult to distinguish each individual in the firing line. The sepia version kicks butt as is. Do you by any chance have a color version where you could actually see the flashpoint of the musket or rifle fire? The latter would be very effective in color.

Here's a piece of trivia for you: do you know why these guys wore wool uniforms even in summer? The flashes from weapons fire could ignite their clothing and cause burns. Wool is self-extinguishing -- if ignited, it smolders and that's about it. These guys wore wool because its self-extinguishing properties kept them from getting injured when they fired their weapons. I just learned that last week and found it interesting.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Yes, it does communicate sound - I am wishing for the rest of the smoke on the left of the frame though.

The classic look is quite appealing