Web work

59Bassman59Bassman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Saw this on a walk this morning.

633503289_YATNd-M.jpg

Not much in comparison to a lot of the shots in here, but I'm a newbie at the world of the DSLR.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Rust! We love Rust!

Nice shot!

More rust! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I like the spider web thumb.gif Looking at the photo I'm afraid to ask where you were standing when you took this photo.
  • 59Bassman59Bassman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2009
    It's an old railroad bridge that crosses a road along the waterfront. My feet were solidly on the ground for the shot. I'm not happy with the blown out sky, but I couldn't resolve the shadows without overexposing some. Made me wish for a bit more than my 55mm could deliver.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    59Bassman wrote:
    It's an old railroad bridge that crosses a road along the waterfront. My feet were solidly on the ground for the shot. I'm not happy with the blown out sky, but I couldn't resolve the shadows without overexposing some. Made me wish for a bit more than my 55mm could deliver.
    That's what HDR (not done overblown) is for. Shoot at least three shots and three differnt exposures and do HDR or roll your own layer masks.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I like the capture and angle that you shot from. You can consider cropping out the right 30% with the blown sky. I think the web comes more into "focus" when you do so.

Thanks for sharing.
  • 59Bassman59Bassman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2009
    Here's an attempt at a tighter crop. The original had the left side cropped out, as I've been accused of always centering the object in the frame. I was trying to avoid that. Here's with both sides cropped out, with the web in the center of the image. Too symmetrical?

634293235_wyc8V-M.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    59Bassman wrote:
    Here's an attempt at a tighter crop. The original had the left side cropped out, as I've been accused of always centering the object in the frame. I was trying to avoid that. Here's with both sides cropped out, with the web in the center of the image. Too symmetrical?

634293235_wyc8V-M.jpg

I know the feeling about centering a photo. I do it all the time...unfortunately :cry

For this I think it works, but I'm not an expert.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    The rules of composition should be, more appropriately, looked upon as guidelines. There are many occasions when it is advisable to vary from the accepted norm if it will produce a more pleasing image. I think this is such a case. The second rendering is much better, IMO.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    This is a much better image with the crop.

I sometimes "struggle" with the rule of thirds when I have a single subject that demands centration due to symmetry or just common sense. I finally figured out that the subject could be centered one-third from the top as the web is in your photo. That is complemented by the intersection of the crossing bars in the bottom third, leading the eyes right to the subject of interest.

Looks like a winning shot!