Sound Re-shoot (cc please)

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is my attempt based upon the feedback you all were kind enough to provide.

Strike

633753638_TNGGd-XL.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I like this one more than the first. Though, for me, the reflections and other lane weren't a problem, so I liked having more around image.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 29, 2009
    This one is much better in the positioning of the image in the frame. I love that you kept some of the motion blur in it. My only suggestion now would be to darken or loose the lepord skin a the top of the image. Maybe mask it over with a vinette?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    This one is much better in the positioning of the image in the frame. I love that you kept some of the motion blur in it. My only suggestion now would be to darken or loose the lepord skin a the top of the image. Maybe mask it over with a vinette?
    rolleyes1.gif You should have seen how bright it was before I burned it darker. I'll try cloning it out. Thanks Joyce.
    edited August 29, 2009
    I thought maybe you had tried to burn between the pins too? On my monitor I can see bits of grainy grayish/black mixed in with black/black...plus the skin. I have found that when working with a very dark or black background that you have taken "bits" out of...its always best to make a copy and paste as a new image (stand alone in pp editior) and then bump up your brightness really overly bright. This way you can see where any light black might show up on other's monitors. Never can be sure of what others are seeing. Then I use that as a reference to where I need to burn on the original some more to get those blacks all the way down there. I hope I didn't confuse you...just a little tip for you.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    umph.gif Compared to your "first" attempts I have nothing good to say. really.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 30, 2009
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    How about this one

634591331_VF7zx-L.jpg

I hear sound in s l o w m o t i o n.

g
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    thumb.gif
    I hear sound in s l o w m o t i o n.

g

Dan, I would try to remove the reflection from the other lanene_nau.gif not sure exactly what that it is but it seems to be what seperates the lanes?
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    How about this one
    …snip

There's something weird about the changing size of the ball. I would have expected the size to appear to decrease with distance; it seems to do the opposite; also it doesn't appear to go in a straight line. My suggestion for the multi-flash strobe was not only to get the ball in motion, but also to get images of the falling pins. I'm not sure about the distracting stuff to the right of the frame…

I like the smoothness and shine of the alley in the original.

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    I'm kind of with Aaron on this - your first incarnation was busier but had more life and "sound".

Sorry if that makes your drawing board a more frustrating mess eek7.gif
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Danny, I like the first composition and the other two you posted, the long view with the alley and streaks adds the sound of the rolling ball and is better than the closeup view of the pins IMHO. I think streaks for the ball may work better rather than the small balls.

Sounding good though.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    This last image is the strongest for me. I'm not sure about the diminishing ball thing, but the angle and movement on the lane/pins works really well.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    thumb.gif

Dan, I would try to remove the reflection from the other lanene_nau.gif not sure exactly what that it is but it seems to be what seperates the lanes?

The object to the right is referred to as a kick back. The kick back is partly responsible for most strikes as they cause the pins to fly back across the pin deck to take out any remaining standing pins. The machine itself sits on them as well. There are 2 of these for every lane. In the 80's I was a bowler and a pinsetter mechanic.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited August 30, 2009
    Dan, aren't you glad for all the clear consensus? rolleyes1.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 30, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Dan, aren't you glad for all the clear consensus? rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I'm kind of with Aaron on this - your first incarnation was busier but had more life and "sound".

Sorry if that makes your drawing board a more frustrating mess eek7.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

At this point, you're probably going to have to go with your gut since we all have different thoughts on the images. :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    I've been watching this one evolve with interest.

I really liked the original for "volume", but the others all have merit as well- I think it is definitely a "go with your gut" moment.....!!
    edited August 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    How about this one

I go along with the points made about that last shot...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 31, 2009
    Latest Effort
    I'm still working on it:

635781621_QyECk-XL.jpg
    edited August 31, 2009
    personally Dan, I think you have bettered the composition on this last one!thumb.gif I like the softening effect and the ball shows motion...still not positive that the smaller balls should be closer to the camera but its more believable with them being closer together. If you have those balls on their own layers...maybe you can use the same sized ball on about 3 of them and do a extreme motion blur then fade the layers so they look like ghostly shadows? But I really like the way you are going with this!thumb.gifthumb.gif

Also...I notice you did darken the background and it looks 98% better....just a tad more lightness I see that the brush missed between the 3 pins standing and the ones falling on either side....down low.
    edited August 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I'm still working on it:
    635781621_QyECk-sm.jpg635781621_QyECk-Th.jpg

Much better motion effect. but the ball almost looks like it changed its mind which direction it wants to go, just before hitting the pins.

It's much cleaner and less distracting elements than your first set but somehow I miss the look of the first.. the gloss of the alley, the light, the environment. The only really bug thing about the first one that was a problem was the reflected words.
    edited August 31, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Much better motion effect. but the ball almost looks like it changed its mind which direction it wants to go, just before hitting the pins.

It's much cleaner and less distracting elements than your first set but somehow I miss the look of the first.. the gloss of the alley, the light, the environment. The only really bug thing about the first one that was a problem was the reflected words.

Thanks Sean.thumb.gif As soon as the ball hits the head pin, it is deflected to the right. That is what happens.

Lot's of challenges with this challenge rolleyes1.gif
    edited September 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Sean.thumb.gif As soon as the ball hits the head pin, it is deflected to the right. That is what happens.

Lot's of challenges with this challenge rolleyes1.gif

I was wondering if that was what you were trying to communicate. :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    How about this one
    I love the pin action and seeing the ball hit them. The reflections also look really good. clap.gif A great capture.

What is unsettling are the faded little versions of the bowling ball. I don't know if you PS'd them in or if that's what your camera actually captured. I find myself looking at them rather than the rest of the photo and thinking "caterpiller". ne_nau.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I love the pin action and seeing the ball hit them. The reflections also look really good. clap.gif A great capture.

What is unsettling are the faded little versions of the bowling ball. I don't know if you PS'd them in or if that's what your camera actually captured. I find myself looking at them rather than the rest of the photo and thinking "caterpiller". ne_nau.gif

15524779-Ti.gif:)

I'm wondering if you can give a (softer) motion effect to the ball, without repeating it...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif:)

I'm wondering if you can give a (softer) motion effect to the ball, without repeating it...

I just thought more about your photo:

"(softer) motion effect" is maybe not not exactly what I should have said -

- one ball with a strong motion effect (shorter) would be what I actually envisioned.

An effect showing the power of the ball striking the pins.

I hope it makes sense and it's feasible...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited September 2, 2009
    Here is my latest taking all your feedback into consideration. I still may go back and try to get a strobe shot, but for now here is what I have:

STRIKE

637938856_Nwezi-XL.jpg
    edited September 2, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

thumb.gif

did i say enough?

one nit... where you stitched together the lanes there is a small mismatch that you can fix...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited September 2, 2009
    Looking good!!!!
    Feeling good?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited September 2, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif

thumb.gif

did i say enough?

one nit... where you stitched together the lanes there is a small mismatch that you can fix...

There is no stitching here Aaron. That is where they oil the lanes and then stop oiling.

Appreciate the positive feedback man.wings.gif