Hurricain Bill in Acadia

PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited August 30, 2009 in Landscapes
Some of you may have seen some of the news last week end when Hurricain Bill past to the south of the Gulf of Maine, the shoreline of Acadia Natioanl Park got pounded by seas averaging about 15 feet with some waves as tall as twenty feet. This created a show not to be missed, I headed down on sunday morning well before high tide, and compleatly by passed Thunder Hole not wanting to be in the midst of the huge crowd sure to gather there. I got some great shots.

633758640_a47Uk-L.jpg

633759984_G6uU7-L.jpg

633760492_Mf3a8-L.jpg

633760907_re6XB-L.jpg

633761529_qqUcd-L.jpg

633762125_S5gRz-L.jpg

633762850_Ec5JL-L.jpg

633763528_R28of-L.jpg

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Very nice!! My parents were over at Schoodic Point on mainland Acadia and said that it was also impressive. I love watching that surf, however your last 3 photos in particular show how people just don't use common sense in situations like this. Even during non-hurricane periods I've seen park rangers warn people about being too close to where the surf is breaking (those visitors in your pictures are just way too close). As soon as I heard the unfortunate news that day about the people being washed out to sea I informed my two teenage boys who are always whining when I make them move back on the rocks. People just don't pay attention and don't understand the raw power of the ocean. Looks like you had a beautiful day, hope you were using a long lens. Again, great photos!!

Stephanie
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Thanks Stephanie, I was indeed using a fairly long lens to get these shots, as a sea kayaker I am well aware of the power in the surf zone and got nowhere near where the waves were crashing. Two things about that day are amazing to me... first only one of the people swept off of the rocks died, looking at the conditions out there that day it is nothing short of a miracle that any of the people in the water survived, and second the storm never got within 250 mile of Mount Desert Island.
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Great shots, Photopaddler. I totally agree with Stephanie, those folks look like they are WAY too close to that large surf.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    spectacular shots of the power of nature! you wouldn't see me out on those rocks, though it does look like the worst danger would be getting really wet from the spray... still, it was nice of those brave (or foolish?) folks to stand there and lend a sense of scale to the whole thing...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited August 30, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, I shot at that location for almost 30 mins and it looked like they were out of the path of the spray, I think that they look a little closer than they are... however the tide was rising quickly and conditions can change and become dangerous very quickly.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Amazing show of Power !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lasting LightLasting Light Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Brilliant action shots of the waves crashing.
    I am amazed anyone would stand so close to the action in those conditions, though as you point out some of it may be the illusion of the longer lens.
    Here on the other side of the Atlantic, the remnants of Hurricane Bill, just brought us grey and wet with nothing of the drama.
    edited August 30, 2009
    Thanks Melanie, the crazey thing was Bill never got within 250 miles of us we just got the waves and some clouds. The people in my pictures might have been far enough away from the ocean but just noth on the coastline near Thunder Hole almost twenty people were sewpt off the rocks into the sea by a big wave, one little girl died and the rest were resqued by the U.S. Coast Guard.