Options

help - I think I might have gotten scammed!

travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 4, 2005 in Cameras
I ordered a Nikon D70S camera from some internet wholesaler. I was going to get the Nikkor 18-70mm lens that came with it, but the saleperson convinced me that the Sigma 18-50mm lens was faster focusing. I've talked to several photographers who say Nikkor is the better lens. So did I get scammed?

I have a SLR Sigma lens (28-105mm) that I was planning on trying to use with the new digital Nikon, will it work?

Also, I find that I tend to be only about a foot from my subjects, I like to be up close and personal. Do I need a macro lens?

thanks everyone for the help - lenses really confuse me! :rolleyes

Catherine

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    travcat wrote:
    I ordered a Nikon D70S camera from some internet wholesaler. I was going to get the Nikkor 18-70mm lens that came with it, but the saleperson convinced me that the Sigma 18-50mm lens was faster focusing. I've talked to several photographers who say Nikkor is the better lens. So did I get scammed?

I have a SLR Sigma lens (28-105mm) that I was planning on trying to use with the new digital Nikon, will it work?

Also, I find that I tend to be only about a foot from my subjects, I like to be up close and personal. Do I need a macro lens?

thanks everyone for the help - lenses really confuse me! rolleyes1.gif

Catherine
    no, you don't need a macro lens. idd you pay for a kit price and you are getting a lens different than the kit lens? who's the retailer, name of store, website etc...
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    no, you don't need a macro lens. idd you pay for a kit price and you are getting a lens different than the kit lens? who's the retailer, name of store, website etc...
    Andy,

The web site is www.royalcamera.com - it's a wholesaler out of New York. The kit came with the Nikkor lens, but the one I got was the Sigma lens. I was annoyed too because they didn't even include battery and software, it was extra. The camera is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
    How can I make my pictures clear when I am only a foot away from my subject?
    thanks!
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Edit:

Here's Royal Camera's review page.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

I know this is a bit past the point but for future reference check out Reseller Ratings.

www.resellerratings.com

They offer a good listing of honest stores. I only purchase my camera gear from two shops, B&H and KEH. Both shops are very easy to deal with and offer normal shipping prices.

www.bhphotovideo.com
    www.keh.com

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    What do you all think of Wolf Camera?

Thanks!

Catherine

Edit:

Here's Royal Camera's review page.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

I know this is a bit past the point but for future reference check out Reseller Ratings.

www.resellerratings.com

They offer a good listing of honest stores. I only purchase my camera gear from two shops, B&H and KEH. Both shops are very easy to deal with and offer normal shipping prices.

www.bhphotovideo.com
    www.keh.com

Rob
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    travcat wrote:
    What do you all think of Wolf Camera?

Thanks!

Catherine
    Expensive but you will get what you pay for.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    travcat wrote:
    Andy,

The web site is www.royalcamera.com - it's a wholesaler out of New York. The kit came with the Nikkor lens, but the one I got was the Sigma lens. I was annoyed too because they didn't even include battery and software, it was extra. The camera is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
    thanks!

you've been scammed. it's a typical crooklyn scam. sorry about this.

here's there storefront

0009.jpg

courtesy of www.donwiss.com

sorry about this! if i were you i'd call your credit card company and reverse the charges immediately.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    travcat wrote:
    Andy,

thanks!
    Classic signs of a disreputable dealer, I'm afraid. Getting your money back or getting an exchange will be an enormous hassle, might not happen. Good luck.

Anyone reading who's not familiar with internet camera buying, please read this thread. Travcat got caught in more than one double dealing, including the "What's In The Box" issue.

As for shooting something within a foot of the lens, if you're careful a good wide angle lens should be fine. Your new 18mm Sigma should be able to handle it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    man, this just sucks.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Getting scammed twice (buying from royalcamera.com and buying a nikon :D) always sucks. I hope the equipment actually shows up in good shape. I would call and file a complain with the bbb, follow the link to the reseller ratings and file a complaint on that FBI website, and never buy from a store with a brooklyn address. Sorry to hear about what they did.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    Sorry to hear about this.

If you haven't received the camera yet, you have the option of refusing delivery.
    Before you do, call your credit card company and make sure you can get your
    money back by refusing delivery.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Sorry to hear about this.

If you haven't received the camera yet, you have the option of refusing delivery.
    Before you do, call your credit card company and make sure you can get your
    money back by refusing delivery.

Ian
    you can also report them to the Better Business Bureau and make sure you use their physical address...that way if they change names, the address follows and the BBB is better tipped off about it.

I can also vouch for B&H, and it seems that have some nice prices. We use them at the UofA for everything and anything photo/video/audio - service is A#1 and I've never had a hassle with them.

Adrienne :-)
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    Boy, am I ever depressed!! I feel like a complete idiot!! I did call and cancel with my credit card and told them it was a scam company, but it will take a week to know if they will credit my account. That was all the money I had saved for a camera! :cry

Catherine

Getting scammed twice (buying from royalcamera.com and buying a nikon :D) always sucks. I hope the equipment actually shows up in good shape. I would call and file a complain with the bbb, follow the link to the reseller ratings and file a complaint on that FBI website, and never buy from a store with a brooklyn address. Sorry to hear about what they did.
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    I think everyone has been scammed before, it's nothing to be ashmed of. I paided way too much for my first few cameras before I started buying out of state. Just remember this experience and then pass the information to another photographer to help them out.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Be glad you have this sort of abilities with credit card companies. Had you sent them a check you'd be hurting for a long time. All in all, you came out very unscathed. You are lucky. Not everyone is so lucky.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Nikon and Canon are both good. Canon is alittle bit in the lead right now. The new Canon dRebel XT (handles low light alittle better than the nikon) is a great little dslr starter and in your range. The D70 is great but slightly older. Just remember the Nikon guys tease the canon guys and the canon guys tease the nikon guys. It's all in good fun and friendship. But I am a Canon Guy. Oh and always get the manufacturers glass if you Can. Nikor is great glass, Canon is great glass too especially the L (photographers cocain(thats why its white)) glass. SIgma, Tamron, etc make good glass as well (tamron is alittle nicer than sigma in my book) and Ziess is the best almost. So if you get the D70 get the nikor glass. If you get the rebel the EF-S lense's that canon combines in it's kits are pretty good lenses too. In addition though a Nice Sharp Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is great.

PS Don't be depressed. Look at it this way. You now get a chance to go Canon. Plus the more complaints the credit card companies get of fraud by this company the more likely they will be to revoke their credit processing ability and help shut them down.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Catherine all i can offer is some advice that i leant when looking...the nikon kit lens is held in very high regard by the people in nikon forums. If you do buy the D70 again then i ..personally would look at getting it for sure.

Maybe just buy from B&H & then you have no worries what so ever.

Gus
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited July 1, 2005
    wow, that hurts...
    Catherine, sorry about your recent experience(s) with the darker side of retailing (difficult to even call that "retailing," actually).

Seconding Gus' B&H recommendation.

B&H has done me well several times now, although I've made no large purchases there yet. An order came to me 30th of June that I ordered late afternoon on the 27th. Their shipping info indicated that it would take 4-7 days. In fact, I've never needed to wait even the minimum time, as orders must be shipped nearly immediately.

The only caveat I'd mention about B&H is that they're closed for days on end, and fairly often, for religious holidays - so it's good to know their schedule well ahead of time, in case you need something fast.

I've also had good experiences with Amazon for small orders - and they're quite fast too.

A local retailer that you trust might be your best ally for the larger purchases, such as lenses or camera bodies. Swap-outs for a bad lens (it happens) and disfunctional cameras is easiest when you shop local. There's nothing better than face-to-face personal contact with someone who values your business. The internet can never equal that.

The small amount you may save online is quickly forgotten when a question or problem develops that needs a quick resolve with minimum hassle. Of course we all hope everything works as advertised, but you just never know. And you'd be surprised that many a camera retailer will probably deal when they know you have an accessory list along with that body purchase. They almost have to these days.

I go online for the hard to locate things, or to gauge prices, but speaking as a retailer myself (33 years in biz, but not cameras), I think it's your safest bet, all around.

And there's always us here to help you too. mwink.gif

Humungus wrote:
    Catherine all i can offer is some advice that i leant when looking...the nikon kit lens is held in very high regard by the people in nikon forums. If you do buy the D70 again then i ..personally would look at getting it for sure.

Maybe just buy from B&H & then you have no worries what so ever.

Gus
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Yep...the worry of being ripped off ..let alone the final cost is way too great for me. Stick with reputable dealers & pay not more.. but the real price. Or possibly waxys fav hangout 'Fred Miranda.com' I wouldnt have many worries buying a 2nd hand camera there if the person has some number of posts up. I would probably look at that any way catherine if money is tight. The D70 has been out for a while now so there would certainly be some bargans over at freds.

Gus
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 1, 2005
    this really sucks and I'm sorry you're experiencing this. too bad you didn't seek grinner advice before ordering.

1) the D70 kit lens is great. I have it and love it. The kit comes WITH one battery. It also comes with basic software but not Capture. That's $99 but not really necessary until you're really into the RAW groove. Besides there are lots of other software programs available and some free.

2) Yes your other sigma SLR lens should work. Mine does.

3) You've cancelled the CC charge? good!

4) refuse the delivery

5) report the vendor to Nikon.

6) BBB is fine but report them to the office of the State Attorney General
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    Just remember that if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. I was on one of those websites and saw a 20D for around $1000. I got really excited until I looked on here and found out what those places do. Stick with places that are very well known and have a good reputation.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    Pro digital discount club is in brooklyn, they have a pretty good rating, and awesome prices. Also they didnt try to pull a single scam on me. The only thing they have got going is its an arm and a leg if you want faster shipping than the free 7-9 day shipping. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    Pro digital discount club is in brooklyn, they have a pretty good rating, and awesome prices. Also they didnt try to pull a single scam on me. The only thing they have got going is its an arm and a leg if you want faster shipping than the free 7-9 day shipping. ne_nau.gif
    I live in NYC, and within walking distance of B&H - they are indeed great retailers, but for me, I take a major hit with NYC sales tax -8.625%. I tend to go to B&H to check out the equipment then go online and purchase out of state.

I've used Beach Camera (NJ) and Onecall.com (WA) for several purchases and have been quite pleased with them. I've also used Sigma4less.com who (although they have a Brooklyn address) are very reputable.

ALWAYS check resellerratings.com before you purchase and ask your fellow grinners for advice.

Just remember - whatever you're buying will still be there for the little time it takes to research.

Thats my 2¢
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 4, 2005
    herion wrote:
    Just remember - whatever you're buying will still be there for the little time it takes to research.
    And good advice this is. Regardless of whether you buy on-line or in a brick & mortar.
    Do yourself a favor and look around.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Sorry to hear this happened to you. I really don't understand how these companies are allowed to stay in business.

Hopefully your CC company will set things right for you.

As mentioned by several people, there are very few reputable dealers in the NYC area, B&H and Adorama being the two I buy from, both are great.

It might be a blessing in disguise that the Royal Camera deal isn't working out. Many of these low price outfits supply "grey import" products because they don't have access to legitimate chanels. Usually the manufactuer will not touch them if you have a problem, you're totally on your own.

By the way, the D70 kit lens is really good, one of the best bargains around.

Hope everything works out OK.