Sunset Portrait

PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
edited September 2, 2009 in People
Took this shot on a sunset cruise on Lake George, NY. Critiques and Comments welcome.

631772353_jap6G-M.jpg
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    What a beautiful smile. I love the shape of her hair, and the background is gorgeous. There's a bit of a hot spot on her cheek closest to the camera (actually, it's more of a line than a spot) and some small ones on her ear, which makes the picture look flashed. If you can fix those, I think the shot will be greatly improved. Also, the bottom left corner has something distracting that could be cloned out.

It's a cool photo.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    It's a nice start. Looks you gelled your flash, with is good! thumb.gif
    To my eye, however, the fill is a bit too strong for a casual headshot like this. It's like "where did *this* come from?" eek7.gif You still want to create an idea that this is a "all natural" portrait, taken with the beautiful golden light of a setting sun. In my experience, the best result would be careful use of reflector (golden one, especially), or, if you have to go with the flash, set it at least 1.5 stops lower than your main (sun).
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I took this shot on vacation so i did not have my flash and gary fong diffuser with me. This was taken with my pop-up on camera flash which is why the light is so harsh.
    My Website
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    dtw78 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I took this shot on vacation so i did not have my flash and gary fong diffuser with me. This was taken with my pop-up on camera flash which is why the light is so harsh.

This loses the lovely color, but may come a touch closer to what you wanted in terms of tonality?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    This loses the lovely color, but may come a touch closer to what you wanted in terms of tonality?

Like the B&W but love the orange light!
    My Website
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    dtw78 wrote:
    Like the B&W but love the orange light!

As do I - love the orange light. I was simply trying to find a way to take down the fill flash and make the shot look a bit more natural - I don't have the PS color skills to accomplish the same thing in color. :cry
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed