www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com
  • PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    424623884_Ly4mm-XL-2.jpg
    Consistantly Inconsistant.

edited August 30, 2009
    I increased the saturation on this one a bit, but in hindsight, it wasn't really necessary, as it was pretty close as it was.424623968_6PhV9-XL-2.jpg

edited August 30, 2009
    424624053_6xN7W-XL-2.jpg

edited August 30, 2009
    424624147_Rchjh-XL-2.jpg

edited August 30, 2009
    Not perfect, but you get the idea of how beautiful it was up there. FWI- If I remember correctly, these were all taken with the 70-200mm f4IS lens(because that was what I had with me at the time).
    424625962_myPWs-XL-2.jpg

• LexiticusLexiticus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    I'll be brutally honest here That proof is really ugly and distracting.

As for critique i'll also be honest.
    I don't like the shots for the most part, I think the last pic is probably your best because it gives some foreground to give ths shot depth. Otherwise it feels like you have included too much sky and only really have horizontal lines to work with.
    Based on these pictures I would say you are pretty new to editing as well. Probably shooting JPEG out of the camera. Because some of your White balances are really far off (The one you increased the saturation on for example). On strong horizon shots like this, knowing how to make gradient masks can be a life saver.

Tips for next time, focus on putting something in the foreground, long focal length landscapes are quite difficult to start off with, and without something to guide the eye its rare to get visually appealing shots.
    Try shooting RAW, so you can adjust the white balance after on the computer.
    And of course, take more pictures and practice!
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Well I also have to say that is by far the worst watermark I have seen...Man thats big...lol

As far as your shots, well I dont think most will comment b/c of the "proof".

I would also suggest using more foreground and maybe try to avoid having your horizon mid frame. It does look like a nice place and thanks for sharing.

But seriously lose the "PROOF"

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Wow have to be honest to looked at the first 2 and saw that huge watermark and was instantly turned off and closed the thread sorry but being honest

Ray Still
    edited August 30, 2009
    Hmmm... where to begin?

First and foremost, I appologise for the PROOF... again. I have yet to succeed at a decent watermark. It seems simple in concept, but I just haven't been able to make it work yet.

Second, I have shot film regularly for about 13 yrs. but have only shot digital for less than 3 yrs. AND yes, I don't edit very much beyond the basics.

Third, I mainly shoot people, and have little experience at all with landscapes. I like them, just don't do them well, and I have little knowledge of editting them either.

I shoot RAW as well as .jpegs, depending on what I'm doing.

Na, go ahead, fire away. I appreciate brutal honesty and have thick skin(he says while sticking to portraits).ne_nau.gif