Watermark Questions

agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am relatively new to watermarks and have read the SM Help but still have a few questions:
  1. If I change the Fade % on existing watermarks, does it change automatically on all photos using the watermarks?
  2. What criteria should be considered when making, sizing, and placing a watermark?
  3. Can someone please provide links to what are considered excellent watermark examples? Interested in seeing others have done.
Thanks for any responses.
Acadiana Al
Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
Blog: Journey to the Light
"Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    I am relatively new to watermarks and have read the SM Help but still have a few questions:
    1. If I change the Fade % on existing watermarks, does it change automatically on all photos using the watermarks?
    only on new watermarks
    [*]What criteria should be considered when making, sizing, and placing a watermark?
    That's really up to you!
    edited August 30, 2009
  • BrentCBrentC Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    2. What criteria should be considered when making, sizing, and placing a watermark?
    3. Can someone please provide links to what are considered excellent watermark examples? Interested in seeing others have done.
    Thanks for any responses.

Howdy,
    I'm new too but have had my nose buried in Smugmug since day one and believe I can give you some answers.

1. The % of fade only applies to the gallery where a choosen watermark design has been used. I have different versions of watermarks which I have kept, each has it own title. One can have as many watermarks as one wants. But I only have five so far and apply them to my galleries separately. I suggest you experiment making a couple first and see what you like. It's very hard to previsualize until one gets their feet wet with making and applying them. It's a personal thing.

2. The help section under watermarks is the best place to go to understand them. If you have photoshop the directions are very straight forward and it pays dividends to follow the steps exactly.

3. I thought about that question too when I was planning on tackling this project. But the best advice I can give is just take it slow and easy and do it yourself, what one person likes another may not. There is no right or wrong way to apply a great watermark. I'm not computer savy but it only took me a few hours to get it under my belt, and I'm still learning new tricks through the best school that I know...The School of Hard Knocks!
    Dusty Trails, vegasdesertfox
    Have tent will camp
    http://www.vegasdesertfox.smugmug.com
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    only on new watermarks
    That's really up to you!
    Thanks, Andy. I guess I need a bit more clarification.

If I assigned existing watermark "XYZ01" (set in SM Control Panel/Watermarks/Edit&Delete to 60% Fade) to a number of photos, and then go back and change same watermark fade in Watermark Edit&Delete to 100%, will all photos using that "XYZ01" watermark have it changed to 100%?

Seems like it certainly should since I am not replacing the watermark, just tweaking an attribute. Regards.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
    edited August 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks. Seen it... obviously need to create different watermarks for different size files, right?
    Acadiana Al
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited August 30, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    If I assigned existing watermark "XYZ01" (set in SM Control Panel/Watermarks/Edit&Delete to 60% Fade) to a number of photos, and then go back and change same watermark fade in Watermark Edit&Delete to 100%, will all photos using that "XYZ01" watermark have it changed to 100%?

Seems like it certainly should since I am not replacing the watermark, just tweaking an attribute.
    As far as I know you would need to reapply the watermark if you want to see a change in your already-watermarked galleries. The watermark is applied either when you specifically apply a watermark to a gallery, or when photos are uploaded to a gallery that has a watermark specified.

--- Denise
    edited August 30, 2009
    As far as I know you would need to reapply the watermark if you want to see a change in your already-watermarked galleries. The watermark is applied either when you specifically apply a watermark to a gallery, or when photos are uploaded to a gallery that has a watermark specified.

--- Denise
    So changing the Fade % of a specific watermark only applies to any photos watermarked after the change. Seems quite awkward but... okay. Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    edited August 31, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Thanks. Seen it... obviously need to create different watermarks for different size files, right?
    I have one for portrait and one for landscape, Al.

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/Clients/Casey-Confirmation/2777992_ihY6D#147947133_yDC65-A-LB
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Can someone please provide links to what are considered excellent watermark examples? Interested in seeing others have done.
    It depends on why you are watermarking. If it is to prevent theft by people making their own prints, then a watermark like Andys is appropriate. If your purpose is identification when the image finds itself linked on the Internet, a smaller one like this is more appropriate.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!