Options

Streets of New York

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited September 1, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I wish I could come up with a better title but I think for anyone who's been to NYC knows, time is money and sometimes best to keep things short and to the point. :D

That said, I stayed up late last night cuz I got the bug to start processing my road trip photos. We moved from the East coast to the West almost 6 months ago and only last night started looking at my shots. The gallery will be here in the Smuggy-luscious Journal style.

Here's New York. The city in which I practically grew up, associate my whole family and (especially) my mother, my early career as a classical musician, my first friends, my ever-urban sister, and I don't know when I'll see it again.

It changes but never changes, and it's awesome.

Times Square
634188845_8iS8M-L.jpg

Dow(n) 39
634211534_rc3KN-L.jpg

Shoe Shiner
634197013_BasWp-L.jpg

Envy
634210814_6xPGx-L.jpg

Raise the Day
634188542_26VtT-L.jpg

F
634215270_pBu2T-L.jpg

I'm not much of a street shooter, so feedback always welcome. :thumb

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Nice photographs Schmoo,
    Nice to see you shooting and posting after long time.
    Guy in last photo seems familiar mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Hey Steph, looks like you had fun! thumb.gif
    And Travis is playing cool, as always:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Ah,
    I like the last shot the most. Would also like to see it with a touch more contrast for more pop.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thanks, guys! Awais, I wish I could say the same but these photos are months old so I probably have forgotten which button is the shutter on my camera by now lol3.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. thumb.gif I tend to like high contrast, too, but lately I have been afraid of it for b/w photos because so much detail gets lost. Especially on busy images like city photos. Think it could still use that?
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Didn't know two things about you, one, you were a New Yorker, and two, you were a musician?

It's been so long since I prowled the streets of NY I'm not sure I'd know how to deal with or not be overwhelmed by the sheer number of people on the sidewalks rushing everywhere.

We went to Union Square (San Francisco shopping area) and I had a flashback, sure brought back memories. That was a couple of years ago when I was searching for the Hearts of San Francisco.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I wish I could come up with a better title but I think for anyone who's been to NYC knows, time is money and sometimes best to keep things short and to the point. :D

That said, I stayed up late last night cuz I got the bug to start processing my road trip photos. We moved from the East coast to the West almost 6 months ago and only last night started looking at my shots. The gallery will be here in the Smuggy-luscious Journal style.

Here's New York. The city in which I practically grew up, associate my whole family and (especially) my mother, my early career as a classical musician, my first friends, my ever-urban sister, and I don't know when I'll see it again.

It changes but never changes, and it's awesome.

[/IMG]

I'm not much of a street shooter, so feedback always welcome. thumb.gif

Forgive me, Schmoo, but...these were shot on the street, but except for the last one...well, you can put them in your 'trip to NY' album. rolleyes1.gif
    The last one has some real possibility, particularly the play of the roaring subway and the zoned-out subject. Nice.clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks, guys! Awais, I wish I could say the same but these photos are months old so I probably have forgotten which button is the shutter on my camera by now lol3.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. thumb.gif I tend to like high contrast, too, but lately I have been afraid of it for b/w photos because so much detail gets lost. Especially on busy images like city photos. Think it could still use that?
    It's digital. Try it and see.
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    I like them, thank you!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Thanks for sharing. I especially like the play on words in #2, and the movement/non-movement (Contrast) in #6.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited September 1, 2009
    My favorite is also the last one. In the Times Square shot, the length of the stride gives a sense of energy and speed, but there's not much else in the frame to support that. A nice blurred vehicle (like the subway train) would have helped. The shoe shine shot almost makes it--I like the direct look of the shiner framed by the stand, but it needs something else to provide an interesting juxtaposition. The other person is wearing shoes that are not usually shined, which is good, but you really have to look for that. "Raise the Day" is nicely processed. I like the color parallels of the jackets and the background. Still, it's a little frustrating not to know what they are hauling--and that tends to pull the eye out of the frame rather than into it.

Sorry if this comes across as too negative, Steph, but I figure great photographers like you will only get better if you get some bad news along with the good. There's nothing like New York, but SF isn't too shabby either--lots of great street possibilities and interesting characters. All you need to do is get Andy to give you some time to get out there...deal.gif

Cheers,