Options

Is this possible?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited August 31, 2009 in Finishing School
I'm doing a photoshoot next weekend. Head and shoulder stuff of some realtors. I've borrowed a Toshiba laptop for post processing and to let the individuals see their pictures...and I've borrowed a Canon EOS 20D because, well, it's just better than what I currently have.

QUESTION: Is it possible to connect the camera to the notebook somehow so that the notebook screen could be used as kind of an "external" LCD? I want to be able to show the individuals their shots quicker than would otherwise be possible.

I'm not sure if this is the right area for this posting, so if not, please forgive.

Thanks
Jerry
www.Meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    What you're talking about here is called, "Tethered Shooting," wherein the camera downloads the image straight to the computer at the time you shoot it.
    It shows the picture after you've taken it, not before. Many professional photographers work this way.

I don't know what the program is called for Canon, but you'll need it on the laptop before you can shoot tethered.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Thanks! I did a little searching online and found out that I need software. I called the guy whose camera I'm borrowing and he's lost the disc that came with it. Any suggestions?

I did find something called "EOS Utility" on the Canon website, but I'm not sure if this is what I need or not.

Thanks!
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Can't help you there, but wanted to throw out a word of caution to maybe use double sided velcro to the laptop base so that if/when something pulls the cord- it will just disconnect and not pull the whole darned laptop onto the ground.
    Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thanks! I did a little searching online and found out that I need software. I called the guy whose camera I'm borrowing and he's lost the disc that came with it. Any suggestions?

I did find something called "EOS Utility" on the Canon website, but I'm not sure if this is what I need or not.

Thanks!
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

I believe the program you want is called EOS Capture. Check on Canon's site for the version appropriate to the 20D. You'll need to connect the camera to the computer with a USB cable.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Yes. As Lee mentioned, it's called tethered shooting, and yes Canon cameras do come with EOS utility on a CD (you can also get it from Canon site) which allows that.
    I must honestly say though, I never tried tethered shooting with 20D. At the time I owned it I wasn't "advanced" enough for that ;-). And since that camera doesn't feature Live View technology I'm aftraid real time image acquisition will not be possible, and the whole remote shooting functionality would be somwhat crippled. I do recommend to rent more advanced body (the later the better) to enjoy it fully. deal.gif

Found my old post with some samples: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1140249#post1140249
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I believe the program you want is called EOS Capture. Check on Canon's site for the version appropriate to the 20D. You'll need to connect the camera to the computer with a USB cable.
    AFAICR Capture is Nikon thingie. In C-world it's EOS Utility :-)
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    The program I use is DSLR Remote, was Canon-only until just recently. Never had a 20D, but it worked with my 30D and 40D. It allows you to control all camera functions via the computer. It goes for $95, but they do offer a free trial you might want to check out.

ETA: Looking at their list of supported cameras, the 20D is included.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    AFAICR Capture is Nikon thingie. In C-world it's EOS Utility :-)

OK, so I cheated and went back and looked. lol3.gif EOS Capture 1.2 is delivered with both the 20D and later cameras as well. I seem to recall using it stand-alone with the 20D but it is also invoked by menu options in DPP 1.6.1. and EOS Viewer Utility 1.2, both of which were delivered with the 20D. The 50D and other more recent cameras come with EOS Utility 2.5, which has remote capture functions and--according to the documentation--is backward compatible with the 20D.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    OK, so I cheated and went back and looked. lol3.gif EOS Capture 1.2 is delivered with both the 20D and later cameras as well. I seem to recall using it stand-alone with the 20D but it is also invoked by menu options in DPP 1.6.1. and EOS Viewer Utility 1.2, both of which were delivered with the 20D. The 50D and other more recent cameras come with EOS Utility 2.5, which has remote capture functions and--according to the documentation--is backward compatible with the 20D.
    OK, you got me...mwink.gif As I said, I didn't use that stuff in my 20D times... ne_nau.gif