A couple of shots from my Sisters Senior shoot

tjl1388tjl1388 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited August 31, 2009 in People
My sister asked me to do her senior photo's. They don't have alot of money and I'm cheap..as in free. Hopefully I she got her money's worth.

Really like this one. Definitely my favorite. C&C always appreciated.

635119731_uaweW-L.jpg

Some dude had a bubble machine out on the bridge while we were shooting...hey, go with what the environment gives you right?
635100872_vSiYF-L.jpg

Not a big fan of the outfit but I obliged the client even if she is my lil sis.
635177159_QNafM-L.jpg

Comments

• pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    I'd love to see a tight crop to her face in #1. I think you could use the bars to frame her quite well.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    not really something you did, but she seems a bit stiff in #2 & #3, to me anyway... which is distracting... for me...

I LOVE the bubbles though (and that bench swingy thing)
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • tjl1388tjl1388 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    I'd love to see a tight crop to her face in #1. I think you could use the bars to frame her quite well.

I will try that tonight thanks. They are from the sticks in WV so she wanted as much city as possible.

tonichelle, I agree 100% even though she was sooo much easier to pose than my 10yr old. I wish I could say I thought about the bubbles. Timing is everything sometimes.
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Nice work, I'm gonna be in the same boat VERY shortly, as i have a senior sister as well!

I love #1, excellent shot and B&W conversion!

#2, I like the idea, and most of the pose, but her left arm looks odd from this viewpoint, but that's just a nit in my opinion. Only really saw it when I brought my critical eye to the photos.

#3, although I agree that you must indulge the client, it does become your responsibility to make it look as good as possible. Here, her posing kills the shot, IMHO. Nice scenery, and I can understand her desire for the outfit, but you can do a better job interacting with her, getting her to relax.

Not trying to be too critical, as you're definitely a good photographer. Just passing on the little wisdom I've gained this past year. My girlfriend is my model most of the time, and I can tell as I look back at the pictures when I hadn't gotten her psyched for the shoot, or if she was having a bad day, etc. I'm certainly not perfect, but I've gotten a lot better at making her relax, which I can only hope to translate to my clients!

Best of luck, looking forward to seeing more!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Beautiful girl.

#1. Love the pose/expression. However, the BG is waaaayyy to busy (for my liking and only my opinion) and detracts from the eye. What lens/settings were used on this? Bokeh would have made this one 10Xs as appealing.

#2/#3 C&Cing these together for purposes of saturation....which seems to be cranked up above what looks normal to me. The pose in the last one makes her look as if she's really not trying to sit down on that bench....really awkward looking.

I personally would have used (and there's no EXIF data here so not sure if you could have...) more DOF in these and different compositions. Take the bench for instance. You face the bench at a 90 degree angle, place her on one end or the other, compose the frame with her on the end....leaning over on her knees or knees up in seat, arms crossed in front of legs, etc
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Agree w/ the above. #1 is the best of the bunch. The second one is a great idea and overall works for me, though she seems a bit underlit and there's a bubble in her armpit. The last one feels very forced by her position. She doesn't look comfortable, and the angle makes her shoulders look really broad.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site