Options

Pair of Special Visitors - B-25 and C-54

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited August 31, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
We have two special visitors drop in to the American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport ahead of the upcoming Labor Day weekend. "Barbie III", a B-25H, arrived Thursday afternoon, and will be in town for about two weeks. The Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation C-54 arrived today, and will remain through next weekend.

The B-25H is the rare "gun nose" version. In place of the glass nose and bombardier station, it has a solid nose with 4 50-caliber guns and a 75mm cannon. It was used primarily for ground attack and against Japanese shipping.

635130151_dudmS-L.jpg

635129546_2P9gk-L.jpg

635133926_xosJ2-L.jpg

635121831_WNtrM-L.jpg

The C-54 is an airborne museum, commemorating the Berlin Airlift.

634891755_GcKbf-L-1.jpg

634977531_vMjan-L.jpg

634978020_cbw9z-L.jpg

634981602_DJ9Zd-L.jpg

More photos of the B-25 here

More photos of the C-54 here

Comments

• Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Hey moose does it cost anything to get into the museum??? Do they let you on the runaway around the planes... as you know i pass it all the time in my travels, live a few towns over
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Museum admission is $10, but they are only open Thursday - Sunday. You can get out on the ramp outside the museum (provided they aren't in the middle of moving aircraft) - the C-54 will be accessible, the B-25 will be making flights, so you may not be able to get right up close all day. I think the C-54 guys may charge something ($5 or so) to get inside - it's set up with a variety of displays telling the story of the Berlin Airlift.
  • Options
    SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Cool pics! I love the old warbirds, especially the prop jobs.

Question, pic 4, what is that in front of the windshield? I can't make out what that is, obviously aircraft skin, does the panel open up like a car hood?

EDIT-DOH! Never mind! Just found the shot on your page with the hood up.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Hi Moose,

You have some good pictures here. I particularly like the B-25. I've seen quite a few of them, but never one with the nose cannon. I got to go up in one a few years back. It had landed in Jacksonville ( with one dead engine ) at Cecil Field....an old Naval base.....which was then home to Black Shadow Aviation. Black Shadow was big in warbird restoration and put a new engine in the B-25. I had a good talk with the owner of the plane. Outside of having to replace an engine, he said the maintenance cost of keeping a B-25 in the air was enough to make a rich man cry.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.