The Montana Subaru Boyz

Ratty2austinRatty2austin Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited August 31, 2009 in People
I took my photo gear (of course) with some borrowed (from a friend) strobe stuff- 2 umbrellas, a soft box, and tripods- lit with 2x 430ex, and 1 550ex, and a transmitter on camera- to an annual Subaru car show I attend each year- I asked if anyone wanted to be my test subjects for my setup.. so the Montana "crew" said they would love to pose- they got one of their WRXs in as well...
This was my first attempt at using this equipment outdoors- and besides the small gust of wind that came while I was shooting (and knocked over the umbrellas, bent them a little....oops!) it went well I think!!

Here are my fav's :D

635264231_mrQyw-M.jpg

635263919_tTNHM-M.jpg

635261088_knMjJ-M.jpg

635261352_ssVPN-M.jpg

635262617_5AMZ2-M.jpg

of course, these all are straight out of the camera- no retouching, cropping or adjusting of any kind... and I know that at least #2 should have been cropped on the right side because of the other car in the shot... but here they are anyway :wink

c/c welcome!

what could I do better next time?

oh, as far as setup-

2 430exs were on the umbrellas on each side of the shot- facing inward approx 45° angles, and the softbox was above me facing downward in the center with the 550ex...

:)

if anyone wants to see the whole darn gallery please enjoy :)

http://ratty2austin.smugmug.com/Cars/WCSS11/9466893_98gce/1/635263919_tTNHM

Comments

• pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    #3 is my favorite, well done for the equipment on hand! Of course, I'd like to see more of the car, as a former WRX STi owner myself. (Hubby said I had to sell it when we decided to have a baby. Bleh. I miss my car.) Did you get any shots of the cars alone?
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Ratty2austinRatty2austin Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    Did you get any shots of the cars alone?

Thanks! :)

I actually did get a photo of the WRX by itself.... (there are of course many daylight photos of them all, but here is during that same shoot- 2 different cars, no people)

635262755_Vnu8b-M.jpg

and my buddy's GT wagon.... after the mud-pit deal.gif

635265371_zWVUd-M.jpg
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    These are pretty fun! Nice job on the lights too.
  • nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    good stuff, im a wrx lover to so it makes them that much better! the ones you said could have been cropped to get the other car out look like it would be pretty easy to burn them down to blend into the silhouette of the forest behind them

any idea what year that blue STI is?
  • Ratty2austinRatty2austin Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    nikmolson wrote:

any idea what year that blue STI is?

I believe that the WRX is actually an 02 or an 03, (they call it the Bug-eye, because of the headlights' shape) with some of the STi bolt-ons (like the Brembos, Wheels, and probably some motor extras- I was so caught up in making my strobe stuff work that I did not get into discussing the internals of his Subie :photo
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Nice! That blue one looks like it's probably an '03 or '04. :D
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Oh how I love Subi's!wings.gif
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.