Say hello to the Olympus E-600

InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited September 1, 2009 in Cameras
I'd have a link if decresource hadn't pulled the story (looks like they broke too early). It looks like Olympus's new entry level camera; an E-620 with a few of the features pulled (though as far as I can tell, the only missing feature that actually matters is the back lighting on the buttons). No news as to whether it has the newer imaging from the E-P1.

I'm not entirely sure I see the point of it. An attempt at Sony style market segmentation?

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    For the estimated price for the body ($599) that camera will be really tough to beat. I think that it doesn't cost much in R&D to produce this camera, and Olympus makes most of their money on the entry level lines. Plus, Olympus is the official sponsor of the US Open tennis tournament, so maybe they wanted a new camera to push through this week of advertising.
    As a very satisfied E-620 owner, I would recommend it and the E-600 without reservation. I use the E-620 + grip as my primary body for my photo studio. Its compact size really comes in handy after a long day of shooting, and its powerful feature set competes with cameras more than twice its cost. These little beauties are the perfect combo in my book!
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1251694801.html
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    So about 500 body only if they sell it that way, I want deal.gif

Or I can just sell my E-420 with the 14-42 to off set this cost.
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Looks like they eliminated all the features I'd never use and kept my favorites. This would be the perfect backup body for someone with an E30.
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    I doubt sites like imaging resource and dc resource would post the release stating "Olympus Imaging America Inc. has today announced its new E-600 digital SLR..." without some info from Olympus. I think it's legit.
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Right, but I'm finding it tough to find info anywhere else but rumor sites. Usually dpreview has a good heads-up on new releases, but nothing from them yet.

I guess I'm a bit of a skeptic and don't understand that if it's legit, why Olympus would pull such a move. I find it hard to believe that taking the LEDs out for the backlit buttons, reducing the buffer to reduce framerate and changing the firmware slightly would save $100. Why not offer the new sensor and firmware in the same hardware package as the E-520 and call it the E-550?

... I guess, however, it'd fall in line with Olympus' poor marketing skills (compared to the competition).
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10