Options

Canon XTi HDR help please

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited August 31, 2009 in The Big Picture
Hello all -

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong here - new to the DSLR world so bare with me.

I got my XTi and have learned a lot so far. I also picked up a copy of Understanding Exposure - what a well written book and good read!

This made move from Automode to mostly manual and TV/AV modes. I love some of the HDR shots that I see so I tried it after spending some time on google and here searching (sometimes search here through google) and reading everything that I could. So I set the camera to RAW, went to Manual mode as well as trying AV mode - I hit the menu, set the AEB to -2, 0, +2 and shot a series using the timer -

1st question - I thought that the AEB would shoot a the 3 exposures by itself meaning - timer counts down, camera shoots 3 photos - is this correct?

2nd question - If the above is not correct - how do I achieve the 3 exposure set with the XTi.

3rd - I should have bought an XSi - I truly miss the customizable timer - I used it all the time on my Canon S3 IS - never thought to look for it on the XTi as the S3 had and I assumed that the XTi would - guess I will be looking to trade in for a newer model only weeks after getting my XTi :rolleyes

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Hi there,
    Xti user here. Well to get all 3 exposures you have to click shutter release 3 times.

Or activate Burst Mode along with AEB to get all exposures in a row.

If shutter speed is low activate "Mirror Lockup" from custom function, to avoid blurring from shutter movement. In this case you have to press shutter release 3 times.

Remote release is very helpful if you are taking long exposure HDRs.

Hope this helps mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    What is customizable timer ?

With Mirror Lockup activated, the 10 sec timer will be 2 sec timer. mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    What is customizable timer ?

With Mirror Lockup activated, the 10 sec timer will be 2 sec timer. mwink.gif

The custom timer would allow the the timer to be adjust to a varible - 2 seconds, 5 seconds etc and take a 3,5, etc shot burst after the timer counts down. I used it many times on things like fireworks etc.

Hope that helps?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    The custom timer would allow the the timer to be adjust to a varible - 2 seconds, 5 seconds etc and take a 3,5, etc shot burst after the timer counts down. I used it many times on things like fireworks etc.

Hope that helps?

Ahan i think it's not available in XTi.

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Ahan i think it's not available in XTi.

yeah it's not - kinda disappointed :(

what kind of remote - wired or wireless? Also if you have a link that would be good - I looked the other day and could not make up my mind.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    yeah it's not - kinda disappointed :(

what kind of remote - wired or wireless? Also if you have a link that would be good - I looked the other day and could not make up my mind.

Wired works for me, Its RS60-E3 Here is the Link

My Gallery