Sharpening prints with Nik Sharpen Pro

swetzelswetzel Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited September 4, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi all, I am brand new to smugmug and I have a question for sharpening. I have Nik Software Sharpener Pro 3.0. This software asks for the Printer resolution (among other things). What printer resolution does Smugmug use for its printing? Does anyone else here use Sharpener Pro? If so any tips would be appreciated!

From my understanding, I will need up upload images in the sRGB colorspace that are already sharpened and ready to print.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    300dpi will be fine. Show me an example and I'll tell you if it'll print well :)
  • swetzelswetzel Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    300dpi will be fine. Show me an example and I'll tell you if it'll print well :)

Thanks for the quick response Andy, but what I do not understand is that Nik Sharpener wants me to sharpen for a specific size print (DPI is related to number of pixels in the image and the size of the print. But Smugmug allows me to upload one image and print it in all sizes from wallet sized to very large.
    My DPI is going to vary greatly. Are you saying that if I use Nik Sharpener with a resolution of 300 DPI that prints in all sizes will look good?

Also what type of printer should I select and what viewing distance should I select? The printer will stay the same but the viewing distance will vary with the print size.

Can you help me with this or should I be sending an email like to to Nik Software?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    swetzel wrote:
    Thanks for the quick response Andy, but what I do not understand is that Nik Sharpener wants me to sharpen for a specific size print (DPI is related to number of pixels in the image and the size of the print. But Smugmug allows me to upload one image and print it in all sizes from wallet sized to very large.
    My DPI is going to vary greatly. Are you saying that if I use Nik Sharpener with a resolution of 300 DPI that prints in all sizes will look good?

Also what type of printer should I select and what viewing distance should I select? The printer will stay the same but the viewing distance will vary with the print size.

Can you help me with this or should I be sending an email like to to Nik Software?

I don't have the plugin, don't use it - can you please advise as to the settings it's asking you for, in detail?
  • action-picsaction-pics Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    I don't mean to reply for swetzel, but I have this same question being posed on another forum. The software has two different main options: One for RAW Presharpening and one for Output Sharpening. For Output Sharpening, Nik has options for: Display, inkjet, halftone, continuous tone, and hybrid device. The question would be what would EZprint and/or Bay be considered printer wise (halftone, continuous tone or hybrid). Each setting sharpens the image in a different way. If you choose any of the print options (so minus display) the software asks for viewing distance (choices of 'auto', up to 2', 2'-5', 4'-8', 6'-10' and 10' ->.

It then asks what paper type. This one is a little easier with choices of: Textured and fine art, Canvas, Luster, Glossy, Matte, Plain Paper. Lastly there is an option of printer resolution. There are numerous options here ranging from 1200x600 up to 5670x1440. A person can also define their own.

I hope this helps.
    Randy
    Sportshooter Member
    D3, D700, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 VR, 50 f1/8, 200-400 VR f/4, 300/2.8 VR, 400 f/2.8 VR, 85 f/1.8, TC-14E II, TC-17E II, Sigma 15/2.8 Fisheye, SB-900 (2), SD-9, SB-600, AB800 (2), misc. other stuff
    edited September 1, 2009
    action pics is correct in what the software asks for. It is very specific and I think that is one of the reasons it is really great sharpening software. To use the software I would need to know that printer type that Bay Photo has (Continuous Tone?) and their printer resolution (300dpi?). I can set the distance to auto.

Inkjet asks for paper type (Textured & Fine Art, Canvas, Plain Paper, Matte, Luster, and GlossyCreative) but Continuous Tone does not. Likewise Injet resolution has options like 1200 x 600, 1200, x 1200, 1440 x 720,... Continuous Tone has resolutions of 150, 200, 300, 400, 500 dpi.

I would think that your printing labs both use Continuous Tone printers but I want to confirm that with you. I also would like to know the printer resolution.

Thanks for your patience. I am sorry I was not clear in my previous post.
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I would use continuous tone for luster or even metallic, but canvas or fine art will be inkjet.
    edited September 2, 2009
    I would use continuous tone for luster or even metallic, but canvas or fine art will be inkjet.
    But as I upload one image only for all prints to be made out of how can I do this? Do I have to create on Canvas & fine art gallery and another gallery for luster and metallic with the same images only sharpened differently?
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    swetzel wrote:
    But as I upload one image only for all prints to be made out of how can I do this? Do I have to create on Canvas & fine art gallery and another gallery for luster and metallic with the same images only sharpened differently?

Personally, I just use a simple photoshop action to sharpen everything once, but if you're crazy about using the Nik plug-in, you'll have to allow a few days for proofing, then you can upload the proper file for the size purchased. That is, if there aren't multiple sizes of the same file ordered. You can set up the proofing delay when you set up the gallery. I forget exactly what it's called.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    The other thing to consider is that EZprints and Bay Photo are both probably doing some sort of optimization for each of their print processes for best results. Pre-processing this process using a plugin like Nik's may lead to double processing or processing that isn't as good as it can be because some of the information in the file was taken out by pre-processing. Kinda analgous to trying to alter white balance in a jpeg vs the raw file. Just a thought.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!