Camera Help Please

hanchohancho Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
edited September 8, 2009 in Cameras
I have a Canon S3IS now with a 2.2 Raynox DCR-2025 Teleconverter that as i understand it makes for a tatal of 26X. I like my camera but what more zoom and mega pixels. I have looked at all the mega zoom camera out and none of them have veary good reviews. I like the new Canon SX1 IS but you cannot add a teleconverter. I would go DSLR but to get a 700MM will cost alot. Does anyone recomand a mega zoom camera that takes good pictures and can still add a teleconcerter on top of that. I like taking pictures of birds and really need the zoom. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    This one gives you the equivalent of a 486mm lens, and ought to be decent quality: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz28/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz28-review.html
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    I would look at one of Olympus's DSLR's. The E-420, E-450, E-520, & E-620 are very affordable for the feature set. Plus, Olympus DSLR's have a 2x crop factor which means that a lens that is 300mm is actually 600mm. Olympus makes an affordable 70-300mm zoom lens that gets very good reviews. That would provide up to 600mm without a teleconverter. They also sell a 1.4x and a 2.0x teleconverter which would stretch that even further. So, if extra zoom and high quality is what you want, you really can't beat the Olympus DSLRs.

You could get a refurb Olympus E-450 with 2 lenses for $420 here:
    http://www.adorama.com/IOME450K2R.html

You could sell the 40-150 lens in comes with and buy the 70-300mm lens for $350:
    http://www.adorama.com/IOME450K2R.html

The whole thing with selling the lens will probably cost you less than $700. The quality and speed you will get will far surpass any point and shoot.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
    hancho wrote:
    I have a Canon S3IS now with a 2.2 Raynox DCR-2025 Teleconverter that as i understand it makes for a tatal of 26X. I like my camera but what more zoom and mega pixels. I have looked at all the mega zoom camera out and none of them have veary good reviews. I like the new Canon SX1 IS but you cannot add a teleconverter. I would go DSLR but to get a 700MM will cost alot. Does anyone recomand a mega zoom camera that takes good pictures and can still add a teleconcerter on top of that. I like taking pictures of birds and really need the zoom. Thanks for any help.

Hancho, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

As ghinson mentioned, there are some very long digicam lenses now, but you may still not get what you are looking for in these simpler cameras. Bird photography typically requires some very specialized equipment for dependable high-quality results. The image quality comes from things beyond simple focal length measurements and megapixel numbers.

As a useful compromise you might consider the concept of "digiscoping" which is the coupling of a small digital camera with an optical telescope. In very good light this can yield strikingly good results without the incredible capital outlay of the best dSLR and telephoto lenses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digiscoping
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Canon Rebel XT - $350 used
    Sigma Bigma - $800
    2x TC - $100

total equiv focal length = 1600mm

You will need a ton of light. I used this exact setup to capture pictures of the moon's surface. All focus will be MANUAL. Image quality will suffer with 2x tc, so you only use that when you need the reach.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • hanchohancho Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2009
    Will a Rebel XT be a better camera than the SX1? Can the Rebel be ran in an auto mode? If I took the same picture with both camers in auto mode and printed them out at 8x10 would you be able to tell any deferance betwen the two?
    Thanks for helping
    edited September 8, 2009
    hancho wrote:
    Will a Rebel XT be a better camera than the SX1? Can the Rebel be ran in an auto mode? If I took the same picture with both camers in auto mode and printed them out at 8x10 would you be able to tell any deferance betwen the two?
    Thanks for helping

Absolutely. The sensor in the Rebel is many times larger, gathering more light and ultimately better dynamic range and noise performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor%20sizes

The SX1 has a 1/2.3" sensor which is a 7.7mm diagonal measurement.
    The XT has approximately a 1.8" sensor which is 28.4mm diagonal.

The XT or any SLR is going to give you more options in the long run too. They all have a full auto mode which is how most beginners use them.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Absolutely. The sensor in the Rebel is many times larger, gathering more light and ultimately better dynamic range and noise performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor%20sizes

The SX1 has a 1/2.3" sensor which is a 7.7mm diagonal measurement.
    The XT has approximately a 1.8" sensor which is 28.4mm diagonal.

The XT or any SLR is going to give you more options in the long run too. They all have a full auto mode which is how most beginners use them.

We use the Olympus cameras at work. I don't really like them, the Canon stuff has alot more options, plus any purchases you make in glass (lenses) will be usable if you want to upgrade to a new Canon camera.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
    edited September 8, 2009
    We use the Olympus cameras at work. I don't really like them, the Canon stuff has alot more options, plus any purchases you make in glass (lenses) will be usable if you want to upgrade to a new Canon camera.

I didn't want to be too biased in my answer, but I think Canon is the best choice by far because of many factors.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • hanchohancho Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I guess i just need to go the SLR way and not look back. Thanks