Options

D70s Help!

melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited July 2, 2005 in Cameras
OK, so I've been taking pictures with a many-years-old Olympus Camedia C-4040Zoom (nothing fancy, obviously). Just started playing with a Nikon D70s, and notice a difference: when I take pictures indoors using the automatic setting without flash, I get a yellowish cast to all the pictures using the D70s, but no such problem with the Olympus. Any thoughts? I'm all ears. (I'm a newbie, talk slow!)
Any help appreciated. Thanks! :ear

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Mel
    I don't know the d70
    But you need to set your White Balance or correct it in photoshop
    Look thru the manual for wb=white balance

Hope this helps
    Fred
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    mel wrote:
    OK, so I've been taking pictures with a many-years-old Olympus Camedia C-4040Zoom (nothing fancy, obviously). Just started playing with a Nikon D70s, and notice a difference: when I take pictures indoors using the automatic setting without flash, I get a yellowish cast to all the pictures using the D70s, but no such problem with the Olympus. Any thoughts? I'm all ears. (I'm a newbie, talk slow!)
    Any help appreciated. Thanks! ear.gif
    buy one of the ebooks or the dvd on the d70 it will help you with the buttons and settings ect or read the insuctions ne_nau.gif but shooting in just auto is not always as easy as a point and shoot
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    mel wrote:
    The key to your problem is "without flash".

In the good old days of film photography when you wanted to shoot indoors without studio lights or "flash" you not only had to meter but you had to use tungsten film that compensated for the yellow cast of incandescent lighting.

Same thing with digital except you're not using tungsten film, you're adjusting your white balance (WB) to indoor lighting.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Perfect time to get an Expodisc. They work.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    One thing that I noticed when moving from a consumer level point-and-shoot to a pro-sumer DSLR (a D70 in my case) is that my pictures didn't necessarily improve immediately. In fact I went backwards for awhile and my pictures were less good. By the way, I read a lot about this common experience on the dpreview.com forums.

I've heard that the consumer level P&S camera is made for great snapshots and therefore compensate for a lot of mistakes and challenges that a photographer might make - and usually overexposing a bit.

I know that my Nikon underexposes just a little bit - and now that I'm used to the exposures, I'm glad for that slight underexposure because I'm more aware about highlights and how to balance them with the shadows.

I don't know if this is your problem. I didn't experience the yellow cast to indoor shots when starting to shoot with the D70 but I'm wondering if the "yellow" is actually a little bit of underexposure.

With all of the custom settings on the D70s, you could modify the exposure and white balance semi-permanently if necessary
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    mel wrote:
    Hold down the WB button on the back of the D70, use the dial to go from A (auto) to the little sign of the light bulb. Angelo was spot on, the yellow cast is from the tungsten lights.

Lookup White Balance in your manual.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 2, 2005