Unisphere and Observation Towers

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 1, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Shot from across the pond at Flushing Meadows Park in Queens, NY.

This is remnants of the 1964 World's Fair exhibition.

I have always liked coming to this place, and the what kid doesn't like playing under the unisphere when the water is turned on.

635104466_DqN9F-XL-1.jpg

I will add to this thread in time because I want to get close up shots of the above architecture from up close as it's completely dilapidated and rusting, sadly falling apart.

Also is it blurry? It's b&w and a little hard for me to tell--Yes I know, must use a tripod.
Also um, newbie mistake I think, is it too centered both vertically and horizontally--I have the "horizon" right in the middle and the darned unisphere too--

Well looks like I've just critiqued myself:)
I will leave it up anyway for further c&c.--Too overexposed? lol--I think the list might be endless on this one.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Ok another version

635100780_yuPM6-XL-1.jpg

What could I have done to this to make it look less snapshotish?

I notice that many of my photos resemble, no not resemble but ARE snapshots.

EXIF
    ISO 200
    AP F8.0
    WB- manual
    Light source-fine weather
    focal length 86mm
    exposure time .002s (1/500)

No tripod.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    The first one is really blown out on the BW, the second one probably needs to be run through your choice of editor (adjust layers/contrast.. looks like it was a bit hazy that day). I'm not a pro but could give it a go if you don't mind me editing it?
    Devin
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    There's nothing wrong with a " snapshot " approach to presenting a picture. What's really important is that you tell a story, or create a mood, or induce a reaction of another sort..... something to capture a viewers attention and, hopefully, generate a favorable impression.

The " artsy " approach certainly has a place in our practice of photography. And the skills to produce such work should be honed, if for no other reason than to develop and enhance your enjoyment of the craft. However, the plain, old " documentary " snapshot is sometimes the best approach of all.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 31, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    The first one is really blown out on the BW, the second one probably needs to be run through your choice of editor (adjust layers/contrast.. looks like it was a bit hazy that day). I'm not a pro but could give it a go if you don't mind me editing it?

Please edit away--I don't have any pp programs installed in my computer--I just downloaded gimp two days ago (which is free) and I'm still trying to figure out how to move one of my photos into the program so I can edit it. I'd love to see what can be done with proper pp work.

It wasn't hazy so much as bright that day and the shot was taken around 3:00ish.

Thanks,
    Liz A.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 31, 2009
    Please edit away--I don't have any pp programs installed in my computer--I just downloaded gimp two days ago (which is free) and I'm still trying to figure out how to move one of my photos into the program so I can edit it. I'd love to see what can be done with proper pp work.

It wasn't hazy so much as bright that day and the shot was taken around 3:00ish.

Thanks,
    Liz A.

Hi Liz - ok, here was a very quick pass through PSE7, I cropped it just a bit and cloned out the very small birds on the left side of frame and one red something that was on the right. Then adjusted the levels and added a bit of contrast. I left the sky as is.. but you could probably bump the levels there as well. Like I said i'm not a pro and learning just as you, but I know I appreciate it when I get feedback.. so thought i'd try to help.

WF-edit.jpg

this one just a crop and a gradient adjustment layer
    WF-bw.jpg
    Devin
    edited August 31, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    Hi Liz - ok, here was a very quick pass through PSE7, I cropped it just a bit and cloned out the very small birds on the left side of frame and one red something that was on the right. Then adjusted the levels and added a bit of contrast. I left the sky as is.. but you could probably bump the levels there as well. Like I said i'm not a pro and learning just as you, but I know I appreciate it when I get feedback.. so thought i'd try to help.

Hey thanks for the PP.
    I like the b&w one so much better now, the blown out parts aren't burning my retinas anymore.

Even though you clearly helped with these shots I can see that it's the fotos themselves that need improvement. I need to learn to shoot from far away.

Thanks for commenting--much appreciated.
    It's a little like being the last girl to get asked on the dance floor when no one commentsrolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 31, 2009
    00SS wrote:

Hey thanks for the PP.
    I like the b&w one so much better now, the blown out parts aren't burning my retinas anymore.

Even though you clearly helped with these shots I can see that it's the fotos themselves that need improvement. I need to learn to shoot from far away.

Thanks for commenting--much appreciated.
    It's a little like being the last girl to get asked on the dance floor when no one commentsrolleyes1.gif .

There are plenty of nice folks on this forum that are more than happy to help out, I'm sure someone wiser than I will chime in.

But thanks for letting me have the first dance :D
    Devin
    edited August 31, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    But thanks for letting me have the first dance :D

:D .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    I like what your trying to show in your photo and agree with Tom that sometimes photos need to be just what they are "a documentary style" type of photo.

Looking forward to when you post some photos taken in the mist of all that is beyond the trees :D
    edited September 1, 2009
    There's nothing wrong with a " snapshot " approach to presenting a picture. What's really important is that you tell a story, or create a mood, or induce a reaction of another sort..... something to capture a viewers attention and, hopefully, generate a favorable impression.

The " artsy " approach certainly has a place in our practice of photography. And the skills to produce such work should be honed, if for no other reason than to develop and enhance your enjoyment of the craft. However, the plain, old " documentary " snapshot is sometimes the best approach of all.

Tom

Morning Tom,
    Sorry I missed your addition to the thread yesterday.
    I get what you are saying and certainly my photos were missing any storytelling, there was no particular point of focus. I kept looking at them over and over and knew there was something missing aside from the quality of the photograph. Will work on improving both.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited September 1, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I like what your trying to show in your photo and agree with Tom that sometimes photos need to be just what they are "a documentary style" type of photo.

Looking forward to when you post some photos taken in the mist of all that is beyond the trees :D

Morning Mary Kim,
    I am definately going back to that place and getting up close and personal with some of the images you see in my original photo. It's such a cool place that I want to do it justice, especially since it falls apart more everyday.

I'll be back:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Hi Liz,

I really didn't mean to imply that your picture didn't have the elements I had mentioned. It was telling a story. Sometimes a central point of focus is not the critical issue. My remarks were more intended to emphasize that the " snapshot " picture is often all that's required. There is no one way that's always the best. I look forward to more from you as you further explore this wonderful craft.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.