Shot of Applachia from last Oct.

SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Drug this shot out and toned it down a bit, cloned a bush out, shifted the color a little. I'm happy but far from an expert so C&C away.

635910302_28sYN-L.jpg

The original for those that would like to see where it started.

392768594_HNngm-L.jpg

Comments

• SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
  • ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    SKnight wrote:
    That bad?
    Definitely not that bad. It looks like a beautiful landscape. To nitpick I'd say that the photo looks slightly titled (right side is pointed down) and the color balance may need a bit of work, it looks too yellow around the sun area and seems overexposed.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    This must have been a knockout place to take in and experience. Far better than to photograph. Shooting into the sun is always fraught with risks and challenges. Most of the sunlit clouds are blown out. Even with a strong ND filter to manage the glare, the contrast and clarity of the receding hills would have been quite weak--and that's the impression it leaves me.

The shot is nice enough to trigger a good story, but something finer it is not.

M
    edited September 1, 2009
    Tweaked it a bit, and stumbled on a WB adjustment that really brought it out like I remember. Also straightened it, good catch. The hills slant that way some, but the clouds in the back were off once I looked.

I got a book on LR today, there is a lot to learn but this book seems to be pretty thorough.

636892036_Uffwr-L.jpg
    edited September 1, 2009
    This must have been a knockout place to take in and experience. Far better than to photograph. Shooting into the sun is always fraught with risks and challenges. Most of the sunlit clouds are blown out. Even with a strong ND filter to manage the glare, the contrast and clarity of the receding hills would have been quite weak--and that's the impression it leaves me.

The shot is nice enough to trigger a good story, but something finer it is not.

M
    So this is no better than a snapshot? I thought I might be getting somewhere too.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    If your objective for this shot is along the lines of a fine art landscape, then I would go easier on myself. The improvements you made above are plenty and good but there are limitations to post processing.

Do realize that most shots that have a blown out sun and adjoining clouds are flawed. Period. This kind of shot with receding hills is commonly taken (by me and a few thousand others)--who could resist?--but the better ones (not taken by me and a few thousand others) are shot with the sun at a different angle, time of day, or, the sun is more diffused by the clouds and atmospherics.

Have you printed out a copy at 8x12-inches or so? If you are happy with the results then the print is excellent.

M
    SKnight wrote:
    So this is no better than a snapshot? I thought I might be getting somewhere too.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I'm liking the composition of this one. I love the sight of hazy mountains receding into the distance, although I see Miguel's point about the blown-out clouds. Not sure really what to do in such a situation because I've fallen into the same bind but I think your crop is an excellent take on the original. Very peaceful!
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Agree! Beautiful composition. I like the processed image too, however the brown tones in the first picture are beautiful. Like soft washes on a watercolor..
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
    edited September 4, 2009
    Thanks everyone! It means a lot!