Blue Pools

NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited September 2, 2009 in Landscapes
This river is the Lathkill in the Peak District, Derbyshire, UK.

Nobody knows for sure what it is that makes the water so blue and so clear. Walking along its banks this afternoon, and we could every detail of the trout that populate it, although unfortunately, not anywhere it was possible to get a clear shot of them.

635965172_yMnWA-L.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    What an interesting place to photograph. The water looks so inviting, but I'm sure its cold. Is it spring fed? If so that could be a reason for it being so clear.
  • NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Yes, it's one of many spring fed rivers in the Peak District that run over limestone, but it's the only one that colour and that clear.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Very peaceful setting, nice capture.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    nice, calm setting, but it seems a bit dark for my taste, and seems a bit oversharpened... or maybe just the file compression?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    nice, calm setting, but it seems a bit dark for my taste, and seems a bit oversharpened... or maybe just the file compression?

There was a lot of overhanging trees so the light wasn't good. As for it appearing over-sharpened, I think you're right and I've been a bit heavy handed with the USM in an attempt to emphasise the clarity of the water.

Thanks for the comments.