Options

When to use color settings

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited July 1, 2005 in Technique
I'm pretty sure I can figure out B/W or Sepia usages, but what about a cool or warm setting?

I have a Panasonic Lumix, 5 MP and the warm setting seems to just bring out warm colors (green, red, brow, etc) and all in all make the pictures much more colorful. But I can't figure out when to use the cool setting because it just seems to make everything blue, instead of bringing out any kind of color.

Can anyone explain what a cool color setting is, and what it would be good for?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    A winter setting, seascape with blue sky, etc.

I find cool color cast is useful when needed, but it is not needed as often as a warm cast. So don't expect a 50/50 split between warm and cool.

Use it when it feels right, and when it feels right, you will know.
    ccpickre wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I can figure out B/W or Sepia usages, but what about a cool or warm setting?

I have a Panasonic Lumix, 5 MP and the warm setting seems to just bring out warm colors (green, red, brow, etc) and all in all make the pictures much more colorful. But I can't figure out when to use the cool setting because it just seems to make everything blue, instead of bringing out any kind of color.

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 1, 2005
    ccpickre wrote:

The cool setting might also be useful in mixed tungsten lighting, when the standard tungsten color balance setting is still too warm.

How's Fla treating you? And how about posting some fine pitchas with your Lumix?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    ccpickre wrote:

IMHO, I would shoot as true to actual color as possible and do any warming or cooling in postprocessing with your software of choice. (PS CS2 would be my choice)

As far as a good use, I have found that some pictures after converting to BW (but still in RGB mode) actually improve by applying a cooling filter (Blue-ish). But that is only when I want to go for that effect. (and this is all post processing)

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com