Canon 1D cracked rear display

JonasWrightJonasWright Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 1, 2009 in Cameras
Holla for the first post,

I ordered a 1D Mark II used from Adorama. I paid for the EX+, which basically means there shouldn't be anything cosmetically wrong except under close inspections.

All aboard the failboat

There's a about a 1 inch diameter star crack in the rear display. If I run my fingers over it I can feel the break.

I'm trying to figure out if this will affect the weather sealing of the camera. The crack, itself, I can live with. I'll call up Adorama and pitch a fit and see if I can get 100 bucks knocked off the price,but I'm pretty avid about my stuff being able to tolerate the great outdoors. I don't want to be dealing with an en-fungaled sensor in a few months.

So, howdy Digital Grinians. Any help solving this little predicament is greatly appreciated.

PS - Has anyone had a cracked display repaired by Canon before?

636070119_ncG8G-M.jpg

PPS - I realize this is a terrible picture. No, this isn't the total sum of my photographic magic.

Cheers!
jonaswright.smugmug.com

“This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.” ~ Dorothy Parker

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 31, 2009
    Jonas, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I don't think you will have to "pitch a fit" with Adorama. They are pretty good to work with.

Rather than insist on a price reduction I suggest you ask to simply return the camera for repairs to get to the condition you thought you were getting. You might also consider an exchange for another unit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JonasWrightJonasWright Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Ziggy.

I've already spoken with Adorama, and they're quite easy to work with. Unfortunately, there isn't another 1D Mark II with the condition I wanted available at the moment (at least through Adorama.) There is one I'm looking at getting through bowdown.gif B&H (peace be upon them) and one through KEH.

Unfortunately, time isn't really a luxury. I'm taking the plunge from my ole studly 20D to pro gear because I'm chasing some deadlines. I don't think I can wait for Adorama to get the camera, send it off to fix it and then send it back to me.
    jonaswright.smugmug.com

“This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.” ~ Dorothy Parker
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Assume you are aware, but the LCD has a protective glass cover, which is easily replaced (by Canon though). It looks as if just this cover is damaged.

One thing to try, at least to protect the camera before you get the cover replaced, is a LCD 'protector":

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483895-REG/Giottos_SP8204_SP8204_AEGIS_Professional_Glass.html
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    You can actually do it yourself, it's only held on by double sided tape.

Here's a spot you can order it, you may as well get a new tape bit while your at it and replace that while your in there.

http://www.uscamera.com/eos1d.htm

I've read of others using a jewelers screwdriver to pry off the old cover, someone else used a blow dryer to loosen the tapes grip. I'd be comfortable doing either, seems a basic enough camera surgery.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.