1st newborn

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in People
This is my first attempt at a newborn photo. These were just candid shots at a party for another friends baby.

Here are the 2 I really liked. What do you think of the BW conversion and the overall composition of the photos?

With grandma
636088126_rEHQh-L.jpg

Close
633574320_sh3ae-L-1.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Well, to be honest with you, I think 1 is a bit dark and spooky. Most baby shots I see are really bright and light. I'm just not sure it quite works for me. I'm guessing that you used an on camera flash for this shot?

2 is a bit better, IMO. I somehow find myself staring at the odd looking, I don't know, noise? Bokeh? Digital artifacts? It just appears a bit pixelated, and near the babies mouth, it runs up into the arm. Its not major, but I just wonder what is it? But I think the overall BW treatment works much better in this photo.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    The whole baby/ kid thing is really new to me because I don't have any myself. I feel like someone shooting a sport they don't know anything about.

I wasn't sure about the conversion on 1. Here is the color version. For this shot I did use a flash with a large defuser. But it was on camera. I think the BW conversion I did was a bit bright and dark at the same time?
    633573909_nPBeZ-L-2.jpg

For 2 I didn't even notice that line. Looking at the originals I think it is a shadow under the arm. And in the BW conversion got kind of fuzzy? Here is the color one too.
    633574156_8wRpv-L.jpg
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I think these work much better in color. I look back at my first attempt, it was a freebie for a 17 yr old new mom, bleh! It gets better each time you give it a try. Good for you for doing something totally new for you.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700