Geology Moment

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited September 2, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
The Blackhawk Slide
788-blackhawk-r8550.jpg
The well defined bench beyond the pistachio farm midshot was once a towering mountain sitting on top of the mine in the distance and Blackhawk Mountain to its right. One day 17,000-20,000 years ago, for cause not known to us now, the mountain collapsed, crumbling into dust and slid down the slope. Spreading two miles wide and five miles long the totality of the event lasted 80 seconds. A popular theory indicates that the crumbled material rode on a cushion of air compressed under the slide, gliding across the desert before coming to a stop.
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    That's cool thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    cletus wrote:
    That's cool thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    I agree -- that is cool :D

Amazing what the earth can do. Is it safe to walk/drive on it?
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I agree -- that is cool :D

Amazing what the earth can do. Is it safe to walk/drive on it?

Thanks. Yes, it's safe up there, but it looks like everything else around, just more desert. The other photos I've seen always show it up close, on top, along the side, etc. This shot has me rethinking the description of where the mountain was sitting exactly before it collapsed. Possibly more to the right and under the arced cloud? Anyway, it has had quite some time to stablize over the last 17,000 years. I might head out there in a few weeks after it cools off and drive up the road that curves around heading toward the base of the mountain.
    Anybody can do it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Thanks. Yes, it's safe up there, but it looks like everything else around, just more desert. The other photos I've seen always show it up close, on top, along the side, etc. This shot has me rethinking the description of where the mountain was sitting exactly before it collapsed. Possibly more to the right and under the arced cloud? Anyway, it has had quite some time to stablize over the last 17,000 years. I might head out there in a few weeks after it cools off and drive up the road that curves around heading toward the base of the mountain.

Glad to hear it is safe -- do drive up and take some close up photos -- I'd love to see that :D