Canon 7D, announcement thread

2»

Comments

• jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Looks like Adorama is taking pre-orders at $1699 (adorama.com) and B&H Photo has you submit your email address to the list to be notified once it becomes available...B&H price is TBD (bandhphoto.com)

I've gotta be honest...I love my 40D, and thought based on rumors that any reality of a 7D announcement were going to be a bit underwhelming. However, the more I read and pour over the information, I'm having a serious Pavlovian response to this thing!! :-)

Once I get that puppy in hand you'll be seeing my pristine 40D up for sale on the "Flea Market" board ;-)
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    jm94085 wrote:

I've gotta be honest...I love my 40D, and thought based on rumors that any reality of a 7D announcement were going to be a bit underwhelming. However, the more I read and pour over the information, I'm having a serious Pavlovian response to this thing!! :-)

Once I get that puppy in hand you'll be seeing my pristine 40D up for sale on the "Flea Market" board ;-)

I dunno, my 40D still feels new to me, and I got it just before the 50D was announced. Think I will wait for the 8D to ship, so I can grab a good used 7D someday.
  • Racerx7734Racerx7734 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Battery grip
    Do any of you know if there is a battery grip for the 7D? or if it uses the same battery grip as the 5D?
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Racerx7734 wrote:
    Do any of you know if there is a battery grip for the 7D? or if it uses the same battery grip as the 5D?

Yep they sure do this is the description from what I have seen has a window such as the built in grip on my 1D Mark III

"The magnesium alloy battery grip BG-E7 has been added with new buttons to control various functions and can hold 2 LP-E6 battery packs"

Ray Still
    edited September 1, 2009
    Different...7D grip battery grip is model BG-E7 while the 5D is BG-E6.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited September 1, 2009
    Racerx7734 wrote:

I believe there are 2 grips that will be available:

BG-E7 Battery Grip
    WFT-E5 Wireless File Transfer Grip (Which will have its own battery)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 1, 2009
    Ziggy...you are correct.

On the Wireless Transmitter grips it's model WFT-E5A for the 7D and WFT-E4A for the 5D...so to answer Abiciriderback it's different no matter how you shake it out.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    It has a digital level
    Digital levels are cool (quite frankly, they rock). Since buying a camera with a built in level, the percentage of shots I've not needed to straighten in post has gone up dramatically. After the VF, this would be the single biggest basic usability enhancement IMO.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    The two things that interest me:
    the electronic level;
    the millions of focus points (and the zone AF to go with them).
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    jm94085 wrote:
    Ziggy...you are correct.

On the Wireless Transmitter grips it's model WFT-E5A for the 7D and WFT-E4A for the 5D...so to answer Abiciriderback it's different no matter how you shake it out.

Thanks but I wasn't the one asking the question just supplying the answer. I have no interest in the 7D or a 1.6x. My 1D Mark IIII is good until the Mark IV makes it's debut

Ray Still
  • Foxy xoFoxy xo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Eeep!

And I only not too long ago purchased a 50D
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Foxy xo wrote:
    Eeep!

And I only not too long ago purchased a 50D

I feel the pain, and I was about the pull the trigger on another 50d to replace my 30d. Decisions, Decisions!

Okay, but does it support AF Microadjustment? I haven't found an answer to that online and the canon website doesn't have the manual up yet for download.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
    edited September 2, 2009
    According to Richard Butler and Lars Rehm at dpreview.com it does have the microadjustment.

AF Microadjust
    • +/- 20 steps
    • Adjust all lenses by same amount/individually adjust up to 20 lenses

Cheers,
    John
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I only wish I hadn't just dropped $2000 on an underwater housing for my 40D... ahhh well
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:
    I only wish I hadn't just dropped $2000 on an underwater housing for my 40D... ahhh well

Check this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=134653
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    This camera looks amazing for the specs/price, you Canon folks are lucky deal.gif

I can't wait to see how 18MP on the crop sensor looks, if they managed to pull this off well sensor technology will really be crazy in the next few years.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hehehe, now I just have to wait until the 7D housings hit the market and I'll be in business!
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I'm wondering where to pre-order one from that I'll get it fastest?
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Any cost?
    I was drooling on the Mark II 5D... should I now drool on the 7D?
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
    edited September 3, 2009
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Any cost?

Two different animals.

The 5D MKII is for those that need FF and may already have FF lenses to match. It currently has the best sensor noise levels of the Canon cameras. It is not really suited for sports and the AF section is very similar to the original 5D, not bad but not close to the 1D/1Ds series professional cameras. Landscapes and studio work are primary applications for the 5D MKII, but weddings and events are a very popular use for the camera.

The 7D is a crop 1.6x camera, capable of hosting the Canon EF-S series lenses, and it would appear to have a very competent AF section, possibly similar to the professional line. Sensor noise is an unknown but with 2 image processors and a new sensor fabrication "could" be improved over previous Canon crop 1.6x cameras, despite an increase in pixel density.

The 5D MKII is available now, while the 7D is coming.
    ziggy53
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 3, 2009
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Any cost?

$1800 I think I've heard quoted. Although, don't forget this is a crop frame camera. I think you're more of a full-frame guy, Ara. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited September 5, 2009
    The first diagrams of the 7D AF section are showing this to be a new animal with completely unknown characteristics.

The 7D shutter, on the other hand, is showing that it is derived from a very similar technology to the shutter mechanisms of the 40D and 50D, with only a higher actuation rating.
    ziggy53