MC#5--New idea

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited September 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay. New idea. New shoot.

Decided to go with the opposite of Sean's.

:D

636808710_7mP2B-L.jpg

TITLE: "I can hear it!"

Definitely can reshoot. Might have to with the turtle tattoo on R right cheek!

Thanks for looking.
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Great idea, and yes it is much happier than some photographers interpretation this time around rolleyes1.gif

If you re shoot my suggestions are a different background maybe a solid color? or show us more of it? not sure. I also find myself wanting to see both eyes.

clap.gif
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Any thoughts as to its theme-appropriateness. Does the "sound" need to be loud?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    ghinson wrote:

I really like the idea and definitely think it is "theme-approriate". I actually prefer this sound to "loud" sounds. Great idea!!

Stephanie
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Oh this is beautiful! I think this is dead-on for theme and just a lovely shot. clap.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I really like it, and agree with Sean's suggestions. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited September 2, 2009
    ghinson wrote:

I see no requirement for the image to be a certain intensity of sound it just needs to communicate or make us hear sound. Holding a shell to ones ear is a universal immediate recollection of sound. We all have done it and a good majority of us have heard it's wondrous whispers. :D
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I really like it =c) i would sharpen it a a bit though
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited September 2, 2009
    Here it is with the background deemphasized and the picture sharpened. Is this better?

Thanks for your help.

637829379_iAPUY-L.jpg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I think you over-sharped his face. If you didn't try this, and are using PSCS, copy the layer, sharpen, then use a layer mask to blend the two. Or do it with multiple layers if you want more sharp on the shell and some amount of sharp on him that is different from the b/g. What I'm primarily reacting to is that his skin isn't nearly as smooth as it was.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    really a nice catch! great expression! and yes, seems to fit the theme great IMO

not sure which one to go with, but I like the softer one...
    Aaron Nelson
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Awesome shot! Great lighting and good with the theme. I do agree with Andrew that his face might be a little over sharpened.

-Steve
    edited September 3, 2009
    I have a busy work weekend ahead, so I went ahead and submitted a version with the face softer, the background darker, and the shell sharper. Thanks for all the comments.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • PhotobbyPhotobby Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Looks great! Wonderful idea! A little more room (or tighter crop) if you do re-shoot. I agree on #2, the skin looks over sharpened (although I think post production is only about 20% rules and 85% personal feel).

I like the interaction and emotion in the boy, nice timing!wings.gif
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    This is a wonderful shot for 'Sound'!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I think you over-sharped his face. If you didn't try this, and are using PSCS, copy the layer, sharpen, then use a layer mask to blend the two. Or do it with multiple layers if you want more sharp on the shell and some amount of sharp on him that is different from the b/g. What I'm primarily reacting to is that his skin isn't nearly as smooth as it was.

15524779-Ti.gif

Great idea and wonderful photo though!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    kds1 wrote:
    This is a wonderful shot for 'Sound'!

15524779-Ti.gif

Nice job, Greg. I really like this one. Early on, I had the same thinking, meaning that the implied sound works better in my mind than a photo of something loud. With many of the photos of loud sounds (inluding my own), you just don't hear it. That is what makes this challenge tough, I think.

My initial idea was to do a "pin drop" with a vibration of wine in a glass... I just couldn't get the look right. What you have done with the shell is ideal. The implied sound of the ocean in the shell is perfect, IMO. Very nice job!
    edited September 6, 2009
    The funny thing about this picture is I took my son and two props to the room in the house with the best light. I had a Whoopee cushion. And I had just received the 50W Megaphone I had purchased on eBay just for this purpose. Before I had a chance to setup the backdrop for the photo shoot, he saw the shell lying around and commented that it was so pretty. I said, "put it up to your ear and you can hear the sound of the ocean." He did, and that was his spontaneous reaction. This was new to him.

None of the rest of the shots compared, though I did get a couple of cool wide angle shots with him holding up the bullhorn to cover his face.

I have since been paying the price for obtaining a 50W Megaphone and keeping it in the house with a 4 year old. He loves it! The neighbors...not so much.

Thanks.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited September 6, 2009
    ghinson wrote:

I have since been paying the price for obtaining a 50W Megaphone and keeping it in the house with a 4 year old. He loves it! The neighbors...not so much.

Thanks.

rolleyes1.gifsorry but I can relate!
    in regards to your shell story - sometimes the best shots are the ones we didn't plan.