Old Skool

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Urban dictionary: old school (oldskool) can refer to anything that is from an earlier era and looked upon with high regard or respect, including music, clothing and language.

While at Flushing Meadows Park in Queens, NY over the weekend, I stumbled upon this scene. I could not believe my eyes. It has been about 20 years since I've seen a boom box, it was propped up on a skateboard and someone had tossed their sneaks right besides the set up. All I did was move one shoe in a little closer and start taking shots--I got some very odd looks.

My take on it--yes I know it's a little different, but maybe it works.

636150507_2G4rW-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Interesting (in a good way) processing. Makes for a fun image of yesteryear.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Interesting (in a good way) processing. Makes for a fun image of yesteryear.

Andrew,
    I'm glad you liked it. I keep going back to it and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    An old boombox :D Those could put out some good sound..at least the one I had long ago. Wish I still had it.

Your treatment on it is good --different is good thumb.gif
    edited September 2, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    An old boombox :D Those could put out some good sound..at least the one I had long ago. Wish I still had it.

Your treatment on it is good --different is good thumb.gif

Morning Mary Kim,
    Thanks for the commentsthumb.gif . It's not an effect I'll apply to many photos, but it does seem to work for this one doesn't it?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Morning Mary Kim,
    Thanks for the commentsthumb.gif . It's not an effect I'll apply to many photos, but it does seem to work for this one doesn't it?

Yep it does work with this one -- maybe its the "era of the boombox" that makes it work -- funky colors, funky time :D
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Ah, the days of the negative. Kinda miss those times. . . . Kinda. :D

I like the picture, too. Reminds me of high school.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited September 3, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Ah, the days of the negative. Kinda miss those times. . . . Kinda. :D

I like the picture, too. Reminds me of high school.

:D Ahh high school--was living in Texas at the time but visiting NYC in the summers and that is the memory this evokes. Then going back to Texas for school and thinking I was all that. By the way, I wasn't all that, I just thought I wasrolleyes1.gif .

Glad this photo brought back some memories for others too.
    Liz A.
    _________