best way to reduce noise

xelanilxelanil Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited September 1, 2009 in Finishing School
I've seen multiple ways to remove photo noise like using the Lab color thing in photoshop then blurring a and b, and another where you make two layers then blur one of them. Any other suggestions on how to remove noise?

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    xelanil wrote:
    I've seen multiple ways to remove photo noise like using the Lab color thing in photoshop then blurring a and b, and another where you make two layers then blur one of them. Any other suggestions on how to remove noise?

How heavy is the noise? Once you start getting into really strong noise your best bet is probably a dedicated noise filter such as Noiseware, NoiseNinja, Denoise, NeatImage, etc.

If you're using Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw's (version 5) noise reduction is actually pretty decent, although not as good as the dedicated tools listed above.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 1, 2009
    Shoot at the lowest ISO with the best possible camera with low noise/high ISO performance, perhaps?

Avoid under exposure like that plague.

The noise will live in the lower quarter tones - those are the ones that will need the most work. Use a dedicated denoiser, on an adjustment layer.

Or revel in the noise, live with it, love it, and move on!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • xelanilxelanil Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    thanks for the list of noise filters, I'll try them. I do use low ISO as much as I can, but there's always those times when I have to use a high ISO.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    xelanil wrote:
    thanks for the list of noise filters, I'll try them. I do use low ISO as much as I can, but there's always those times when I have to use a high ISO.

The Noiseware community edition is FREE and absolutely wonderful.