Options

Weird circular lines showing after using Omni light technique

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in Finishing School
Whenever I use a rendered light filter called Omni in Elements 7, I can see these ugly circular lines radiating out from the center of my photos. Can anyone help me to stop this from happening? Can you see it? It's radiating out from the center light in front of her face. :( Thank you.
Example:
632434969_kGvxv-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    I use Elements as well, and I'd never used that before, but after going in and looking at it, it looks like it is a filter designed to give you an omni-directional spotlight effect. If I may ask, why are you using this particular effect? Is it to brighten the center? Or to get the vignette effect? Because there are other ways to get both of those accomplished in Elements without using the Render lighting effects.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    I was using it to both brighten the center AND add a little vignette at the same time. Do tell, what else I can use. Why would they have a filter that shows up like this in the first place? If the customer orders prints, is it going to show there too? Probably, I would guess. :(
    I use Elements as well, and I'd never used that before, but after going in and looking at it, it looks like it is a filter designed to give you an omni-directional spotlight effect. If I may ask, why are you using this particular effect? Is it to brighten the center? Or to get the vignette effect? Because there are other ways to get both of those accomplished in Elements without using the Render lighting effects.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Just out of curiousity, are you using an 8 bit or 16 bit image?

I'm curious to see if the banding goes away if it is rendered at a higher bit depth.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I get banding like that when vignetting against a blown out sky, even if it is only slightly blown. And that's with my raw images in lightroom. Vignettes just don't work with a really bright sky or blown background.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Unfortunately, I am only able to use 8 bit when converting from RAW to PSE (Elements 7) and then to .jpg. When I tried 16 bit, it wouldn't convert at all.
    MarkR wrote:
    Just out of curiousity, are you using an 8 bit or 16 bit image?

I'm curious to see if the banding goes away if it is rendered at a higher bit depth.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Well, that's certainly a good thing to remember. Thanks for that. :) I think I'll just trying using that technique with darker backgrounds and see how it goes. It's weird tho, it only seems to show up in my galleries and not when I'm actually working in PSE. ne_nau.gif
    lilmomma wrote:
    I get banding like that when vignetting against a blown out sky, even if it is only slightly blown. And that's with my raw images in lightroom. Vignettes just don't work with a really bright sky or blown background.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Unfortunately, I am only able to use 8 bit when converting from RAW to PSE (Elements 7) and then to .jpg. When I tried 16 bit, it wouldn't convert at all.

I thot for sure PSE supported 16 bit tiffs. ne_nau.gif .jpg format, of course, only supports 8.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Whenever I use a rendered light filter called Omni in Elements 7, I can see these ugly circular lines radiating out from the center of my photos. Can anyone help me to stop this from happening? Can you see it? It's radiating out from the center light in front of her face. :( Thank you.

Guy goes to a doctor and tells him "It makes my throat hurt when I sing. What should I do about it? Surgery? Medication? Exercises?"

"Stop singing" the doctor says.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Well, I happen to like using that feature, but I'd prefer to find a way w/o the noticeable banding. No need to be sarcastic, TC. eek7.gif
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Guy goes to a doctor and tells him "It makes my throat hurt when I sing. What should I do about it? Surgery? Medication? Exercises?"

"Stop singing" the doctor says.