Options

Disrespectful...

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
So what I mainly like to shoot is landscapes, wild life, macro stuff, detail shots, etc... My grandmother today, emailed me a photo that someone took, it seems to be with a cell phone, of a bay in Alaska with a sunset. The photo is not straight (horizon), the horizon line is right in the middle, it's a bit blurry. All obvious things being it's from a cell phone.

She wants me to put the photo up on my site so that she can get it printed. Is that not disrespectful to the extreme?

Also...it's 800x600 pixels...how big can she print that too?

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    I'm sure Grandma doesn't mean to be disrespectful. Maybe the photo has some significance to her. Just indulge her and have a 4x6 printed for her. Of course, you wouldn't want to display it on Smugmug, so you can just tell her that you need to only post your own photos for integrity. I have a soft spot for grandmothers, can you tell?

Caroline
  • Options
    SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Grandmothers can be different sometimes.

I'd put it up, let her print it, then take it down. That or print it for her and mail it. If she likes it she likes it. I might even PP it some if there's any improvement to be had. They rarely mean any harm.

As for size, might make a decent 3X5, but that's a guess.
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    I'm sure Grandma doesn't mean to be disrespectful. Maybe the photo has some significance to her. Just indulge her and have a 4x6 printed for her. Of course, you wouldn't want to display it on Smugmug, so you can just tell her that you need to only post your own photos for integrity. I have a soft spot for grandmothers, can you tell?

Caroline

Yeah it's definitely not a special place to her, not a place she has been before. It was just a picture this guy sent to her with his phone from a place he is working. I can tell you have quite the soft spot.

I suppose I'll put it up for her to print, then take it down. I also have a problem with it because the guy that took the picture, is someone I have a true hatred for. As in...absolutely despise as a human being. So that adds to the disrespectfullness in my head. And she knows how I feel about this person.

I guess I'll do it though.
  • Options
    SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Well I can say I understand a large part of your dilemma, but hey it's your Grandma. You might even get a big plate of cookies for it!:D
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    If My grandmother was alive I would take that image do the very best I could with it, print it at the largest size possible, and send it it to her with my love.

Sam
  • Options
    promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Ditto to the above. Remember, if she didn't bring your mother into this world you wouldn't be here in the position of doing her a favor. Do it, she's your grandmother.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Yeah it's definitely not a special place to her, not a place she has been before. It was just a picture this guy sent to her with his phone from a place he is working. I can tell you have quite the soft spot.

I suppose I'll put it up for her to print, then take it down. I also have a problem with it because the guy that took the picture, is someone I have a true hatred for. As in...absolutely despise as a human being. So that adds to the disrespectfullness in my head. And she knows how I feel about this person.

I guess I'll do it though.
    Well, there you have it. Family dynamics in flux. Only two posts and we already know more about the situation. And everyone would tend to agree that Grandma's have special privilege, Me too!

But we all have families and some not so pretty and decent as stereotypes suggests.

I can say this: If you do this, yet resent it, it will bother you and you alone. SO if you do decide to do the deed for the GM, then make sure your heart and head are in the right place.

an unenviable position~
    tom wise
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    As long as you get it printed for her, and make it clear that you are not posting it on your site for other people to see, it's fine. You can always put it in an unlisted gallery if you're a SmugMug user.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I am a new Grandma, and I am guessing that your Grandma most likely changed some really stinky diapers for you along the way and other things that don't even compare with this little favor she asked of you. And it is not her fault that you have negative feelings about the third party. Make her happy! :D
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Sounds to me like maybe you should be finding one of YOUR special images and printing her a big beautiful print!!!!

Then, she can gush to all her friends about her grandson the photographer, who is so generous to have gotten her a picture!
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    rteest42 wrote:
    Sounds to me like maybe you should be finding one of YOUR special images and printing her a big beautiful print!!!!

Then, she can gush to all her friends about her grandson the photographer, who is so generous to have gotten her a picture!

I agree, and hopefully Grandma will hang your print right beside the cell phone image...easier to compare that way. And...give Grandma a hug next time you see her.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I'd send her to snapfish. The print quality seems appropriate for the picture.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I'd send her to snapfish. The print quality seems appropriate for the picture.

Or just have it printed at her local Wal-Mart or Pharmacy (pre-paid of course) and have her pick it up. I do this all the time for my parents.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Am I missing something?

The photo was not taken by Candid Arts and it is not his to post or print.

Why doesn't Grandma ask the person who took the photo for a print?

OK, I understand about grandmothers. I'm one myself.

But it isn't just an issue of providing her with a print of a picture you took that isn't very good but that she wants.

Too many people think that they have a right to take and print any picture they want and that just isn't true. Just because you can doesn't make it right.

Anyway, this could be a teaching moment for Grandma (gee, I'd love to do it for you, but I would be violating your friends copyright. Have you asked him for a print? I'm sure he would be flattered...)

If it is being done with the friend's knowledge and consent, then I would suck it up and do what grandma asks. But I sure wouldn't do any pp on it. I'd just put it as is in a private gallery and let her do what she wants with it before taking it down. I think I would caption it as his as well, just in case someone somehow comes across it. You don't want anyone to think it is one of yours.

Just my $.02.

Good luck. Families are wonderful but sometimes....

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Am I missing something?

But it isn't just an issue of providing her with a print of a picture you took that isn't very good but that she wants.

Too many people think that they have a right to take and print any picture they want and that just isn't true. Just because you can doesn't make it right.

Anyway, this could be a teaching moment for Grandma (gee, I'd love to do it for you, but I would be violating your friends copyright. Have you asked him for a print? I'm sure he would be flattered...)

If it is being done with the friend's knowledge and consent, then I would suck it up and do what grandma asks. But I sure wouldn't do any pp on it. I'd just put it as is in a private gallery and let her do what she wants with it before taking it down. I think I would caption it as his as well, just in case someone somehow comes across it. You don't want anyone to think it is one of yours.

Just my $.02.

Virginia

This is absolutely true. People tend to freely print images without thinking about it. However I must say my response was more for humor and not serious.

I sure wouldn't like someone printing my images.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    I had a situation just this last weekend with my own grandma... it seems that a couple months back a photographer sold her a huge print of airial photography of their ranch. She wanted 3 more copies to give to her sons... but didn't want to pay for them. She wanted me to take a photo of the photo and make large prints. Sheesh. I had to tell her no for all the reasons that Gina mentioned. She was a little surprised, but in the end wasn't upset.
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    hehehe, I know how you feel believe me :D.. sometimes we take great shots, and then others see stupid shots of others and start complimenting them, but never complimented us hahahahha :D

But think of it this way. Maybe your grandma has a wisdom point here. Maybe she wants you to learn a lesson. Maybe she wants to bring peace between you and this person.

Just work great on the picture and print it for her. Be sure it will be good for you personally and for your business as well mwink.gif
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    So what I mainly like to shoot is landscapes, wild life, macro stuff, detail shots, etc... My grandmother today, emailed me a photo that someone took, it seems to be with a cell phone, of a bay in Alaska with a sunset. The photo is not straight (horizon), the horizon line is right in the middle, it's a bit blurry. All obvious things being it's from a cell phone.

She wants me to put the photo up on my site so that she can get it printed. Is that not disrespectful to the extreme?

Also...it's 800x600 pixels...how big can she print that too?

PRINT IT PRINT ITclap.gifclapclap.gif
    It sounds like this spot/pic is special to her...respect your elders
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Am I missing something?

Just my $.02.

Virginia
    15524779-Ti.gif

The fact that you found it disrespectful enough to post the question here says enough, I think.
  • Options
    chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Do your grandmother a small favor...the time it took you to whine about it on an internet forum and it could be all done with. If it's that big of a deal to you then print it for her.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."