Couples Shoot, critiques welcome

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited July 3, 2005 in People
So I was asked by some friends to take their photos as a couple and separately. Here are what I think are the best of the couple photos. I'm actually pleased because this is the first time for me to shoot an actual couple. critiques are (as always) wholly welcome and encouraged. (ps, SORRY FOR THE HUGE PICTURES!!! i tried my best to resize but they're all weird...)

1. dougandbritedit1.jpg

2. dougandbritedit3.jpg

3. dougandbritedit2.jpg

4. dougandbritedit4.jpg

5. dougandbritedit5.jpg

6. d858a59a.jpg

Comments

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Love #1 and #3! These are great! They look like a very happy coupleclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    nOrmalSukx wrote:
    So I was asked by some friends to take their photos as a couple and separately. Here are what I think are the best of the couple photos. I'm actually pleased because this is the first time for me to shoot an actual couple. critiques are (as always) wholly welcome and encouraged. (ps, SORRY FOR THE HUGE PICTURES!!! i tried my best to resize but they're all weird...)
    I think it's a terrific series. I like the B&W. The lighting and exporesures work for me. What was your light source?

regards,

Gary
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 2, 2005
    aww thanks so much, yea i like those too and they are a very happy couple.
    rahmonster wrote:
    Love #1 and #3! These are great! They look like a very happy coupleclap.gif
    edited July 2, 2005
    well i'm really glad you like it. Actually my only light source was the overhead light, the light from a window and my camera's flash. but thankfully it worked well.

gpgold wrote:
    I think it's a terrific series. I like the B&W. The lighting and exporesures work for me. What was your light source?

regards,

Gary
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    Very good
    I like them a lot with exception of number 4. That photo is very good on its own but the interaction in it doesn't work for me. She kisses him and he looks into camera looking for accolades or something else. In the remaining shots they are in synch looking at each other or at the camera.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 2, 2005
    Hey normalsux _ (what's your name)

I agree lighting and BW treatment is very nice but otherwise have to go against the grain... I like #6... there's mutual personality and interaction with the camera and just a nice picture.

#1 & #3: your focus goes a wee bit soft on him.
    #2: it's about "a" kiss not "their" kiss... and her nose is scrunched
    #4: I agree with Ted

Nice post thumb.gif
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    I do like your pictures, but I can't help thinking of a certain Joe Jackson song.
    edited July 3, 2005
    i know i'm gonna sound like a dope, but who's joe jackson, what song are you talking about, and was that an insult?

sorry but i'm lost...:cry

david_h wrote:
    I do like your pictures, but I can't help thinking of a certain Joe Jackson song.
    edited July 3, 2005
    thanks for the comment!. i agree with you on number four to an extent, yes for somebody else looking at the picture it does seem out of synch, but i know the couple personally and that's their style. she's like "hey baby you're so cute i loves you" and he's just kinda like one of those mushy guys who are only mushy when people aren't watching lol. but i definitely agree for people besides friends who dont see the humor. thanks so much again for the comment.

I like them a lot with exception of number 4. That photo is very good on its own but the interaction in it doesn't work for me. She kisses him and he looks into camera looking for accolades or something else. In the remaining shots they are in synch looking at each other or at the camera.
    edited July 3, 2005
    hey. (my name's emily but most people just call me ema)

i'm so glad you went against the grain. six happens to be my favorite picture also. i think it and number four actually best show the couple's personality.

ps thanks for the critiques, i always like to get them!

Angelo wrote:
    Hey normalsux _ (what's your name)

I agree lighting and BW treatment is very nice but otherwise have to go against the grain... I like #6... there's mutual personality and interaction with the camera and just a nice picture.

#1 & #3: your focus goes a wee bit soft on him.
    #2: it's about "a" kiss not "their" kiss... and her nose is scrunched
    #4: I agree with Ted

Nice post thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 3, 2005
    I'm going with 6 as the one from the group I like most. I might crop it so it's more
    head & shoulders (below her hand). His face looks a bit soft while her eyes are
    nice and sharp. Can you share a couple of details about the exposure?

Nice work! Look forward to seeing more.

Oh, Joe Jackson was popular in the '80s. Maybe his biggest hit was "Steppin' Out"?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 3, 2005
    lol WAY before my time then. i like six best also, but honestly i dont know what to say about the exposure...i just use the overhead light, the light from the window (it was a bright day) and my camera's flash. i did a bit of photoshop editing to make the image less grainy but other than that it was just a bright day.

ian408 wrote:
    I'm going with 6 as the one from the group I like most. I might crop it so it's more
    head & shoulders (below her hand). His face looks a bit soft while her eyes are
    nice and sharp. Can you share a couple of details about the exposure?

Nice work! Look forward to seeing more.

Oh, Joe Jackson was popular in the '80s. Maybe his biggest hit was "Steppin' Out"?

Ian
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 3, 2005
    nOrmalSukx wrote:
    lol WAY before my time then.
    Not to worry, you didn't miss much. But I hear disco is coming back :D

What f-stop did you shoot at? I'm going to guess it was between 2-4
    (I can't read the EXIF data from the image which is why I was asking).
    Anyway, if you could close the aperature down a bit, you'd be sharper
    from front to back (if you shot at 4, go to 8). That's all.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    Hi Ema wave.gif (I like that much better than Normalsukxrolleyes1.gif )

very nice series indeed. I like 4 and 6. His eyes are a little soft in 6, the focus seems more on her.. great shots anyway clap.gifclap.gif good job!
    edited July 3, 2005
    hi there. thanks so much i'm glad you like them. and yea i noticed she always seems to look more focused especially around her eyes in the pictures, i think it may have something to do w/ her eyliner though. who knows lol, thanks for commenting!

lynnma wrote:
    Hi Ema wave.gif (I like that much better than Normalsukxrolleyes1.gif )

very nice series indeed. I like 4 and 6. His eyes are a little soft in 6, the focus seems more on her.. great shots anyway clap.gifclap.gif good job!