#32... Oy

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm having a tough time with this one, guys.

Here's an idea... the colors look all wonky on this monitor, so further tweaking and/or a reshoot is possible. Would it even qualify?

It's my reflection in a security camera mounted on the overhang above the door at a county building. Every time I walk by it, I look up at it and wonder whether it would be an interesting shot, so I gave it a try.

637491238_9UFUr-L.jpg

I'll be heading down to the UF campus tonight to shoot with a local photog group here, hopefully I'll come up with something spectacular....
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I think you want to crop in and fade out the surrounding parts so you get mostly the reflections. That said, I'm not sure this is really a strong entry on the theme -- but it would win against mine :D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    alright, other ideas. these are not fresh shots, but would something like these work?

633423365_LkbFk-L.jpg

635514903_9iKKY-L.jpg

of course, i borrowed a lens from a friend for these shots and have since returned it... but i could do something close, i think.
    Webpage

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Like the first one better as the various climbing holds makes you really think about the orientation. The second one (perhaps because I already parsed the first) is much more apparent.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I like the security camera one for the theme, actually. But it would need to be reshot so that it is cleaned up and to make the perspective more obvious, I think. Then again, do a lot of people do this kind of shot for that theme and therefore this may not be 'different' enough? Hmmmm.....not sure.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    #1 from the rock climbing wall has potential. I really like the skewed angle. If you're going to attempt that one, try to get another climber or a part of another climber in the foreground so it looks like we're seeing what s/he's seeing.
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Kinkajou - you have a lot you can do with the security camera one. If you go w/black and white, or selective color on the flags, that will eliminate the rust issue. Also, you can pump up the light some to make yourself stand out a little more in the mirror. I like this.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Well, so far consensus seems to be for the security camera shot...

I'm not at all sure how I would manage to clean up the rust... or whether I should. I haven't decided how much 'context' is needed here, i.e., whether it's a good idea to show that it's a dome hanging from a ceiling in its own (somewhat ugly) space or not.

I'll do some work on it and try the BW conversion as well.

Thanks for the feedback! This sure has been a tough one for me... at a total loss for good ideas.
    Webpage